9

"You don't remember it, but you were once part of Hydra." I look at him in disbelief. "Not willingly, like Wanda and I. They captured you when they found out about your powers, kept you at a base for a few years, and then set you free." I stare down at the file, not daring to open it just yet. "There's another thing." I see Pietro take a deep breath and take a step closer to me. "I loved... Love you." He pauses. "And I'm pretty sure you loved me."

I look up directly into his eyes as everything comes crashing into place.

You don't remember? He'd mumbled it in Sokovia, meaning I only barely heard it. I figured I had heard wrong or he was trying to mess with me, but I actually just didn't remember. Didn't remember him. Didn't remember us.

He knew all those personal things about me because I had told him about it. He kept caring for me because he loved me. He seemed familiar that first day in Sokovia because I had already previously known him. I trusted him so quickly because I had once loved him.

Do I still love him now?

I don't think I can answer that question just yet. With this mind set, I still barely know him. I trusted him quickly, but I know almost nothing about him.

"Why don't I remember?" I almost whisper it, not wanting to break the moment, but needing to know the answer. Steve says that Hydra wiped Bucky's memory but he didn't remember anything about his past. I still had memories from my childhood and of my parents.

"They have a very... advanced system." Pietro sits down beside me, placing a hand on my knee. "They brought you in because they wanted to do experiments on you, find out where your power came from. They trained you in combat, trying to make you a fighter, but with your memories still intact, you continued to refuse. They didn't want to erase your memory because there was always the possibility of you not being born with your power, in which case you could hold the memory that would show how you got it."

"They placed us together while Wanda and I were being experimented on. They thought you might agree to do more if you were close to some of the other experiments." He stops for a second and smiles. "It didn't take long for us to get together despite how young we both were. Even being close to me and Wanda though, they were never able to break you."

"I know there's a lot more explaining to do, but we need to get moving before someone comes to yell at us." I know we're probably already the last ones out, so I try to get my uniform on as fast as I can with my sore side and Pietro uses his speed to change his clothes quickly and get some new running shoes, which I'm sure will come in handy.

We walk down the hall to where we're supposed to meet everyone else hand in hand, quietly talking to each other. I don't know why I held his hand, or why I believed him straight away, but here we are. I notice Wanda look at our intertwined hands before smiling up at her brother, while Steve and Tony both look at me with surprise and confusion. I leave Pietro to talk with his sister and make my way over to the two of them, ready to confront them.

"Did you guys know?" I ask.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about." Tony says, slightly raising an eyebrow. I give him a don't bullshit me look and he sighs. "We knew."

"And you guys didn't even think to tell me?"

"We didn't know that they wiped your memory at first." Steve starts. "We had every intention of telling you but you were in such a fragile state when we found you that we didn't think it would be a good time. And then we found out that Speedy over there was the one you were supposedly in a relationship with and didn't think we should tell you while he was the enemy."

"That excuse was so lame." I scoff. "You had over a year to tell me."

"It was never the right time, Riles."

"We've gotta go, like, now." Clint calls out from the jet, cutting off everyone's conversations. I walk onto the jet and take a seat next to Pietro.

"Why'd they let me go?" I lean into Pietro's side, finally able to actually rest.

"Well they had originally told us that you were killed, so when you were in Sokovia with the Avengers, I thought I had begun to see things. I thought there was no way you could be there. But then I got my hands on your file." As he mentions it, I realize I've left it sitting on my bed. I guess I'll have to wait to read it until after we save the world. "Apparently nothing they were doing was making any progress. They would try simply giving your blood to others and nothing ever happened. They actually did a lot of experiments on your blood, but they didn't find anything. So, they ended up deciding that it would be better to spend time on more important things, cause if you couldn't fight anyway, you weren't really that special since they couldn't make you use your power unwillingly. So they just let you go, I guess. Of course wiping your memory of the time you were there first. I'm really not sure how they put you back into your normal life without any questions from you or anyone you knew. You were there for two years, but it seems like you went back into your normal life again with no problem."

"That doesn't mean I'm twenty-two does it?" I ask and Pietro laughs. "I'm serious, Sonic."

"No, you are twenty." I then join in on his laughter.

"I feel like I missed you." I say. "I didn't understand why I trusted you so quickly before, but now I do. You can never really forget the first person you loved. Even if people do try to take them away." We both just stare into each other's eyes for a minute, just enjoying the other person's presence. I feel bad for not remembering the first two years of our relationship, but I'm not sure my feelings for him could be any more than they are right now.

It's almost like there was a hole in my heart that I didn't even notice, because I didn't know that it was empty. But now I know the person who once filled that hole, and they made themselves at home again, right in their spot. My heart feels almost full again now that the empty spot is filled, I feel better than I've felt in a long time.

Pietro's head slowly moves down towards mine until our lips lightly glaze each other. I tilt my head up so that they connect fully, and it's the best feeling I've ever felt.

You know those butterflies people always talk about? Yeah, they're riding a rollercoaster in my stomach right now. I get goosebumps up and down my arms at our connection, and I can't help but smile into the kiss as he gently sucks on my bottom lip.

"Finally!" Pietro and I both jump, as if we both forgot there were other people here with us. I feel my face go red as Wanda smiles wide at the both of us. "Sorry." She says sheepishly. "I've been waiting for that moment for a long time."

"You guys are obviously her OTP." Tony clarifies, making both Wanda and Steve look at him confused. "One true pairing? You ship them together? You guys really have to get with the times." I laugh and shake my head at Tony. He's such an idiot sometimes.

"Will you tell me stories from the base?" I ask Pietro and he nods his head.

"Well when we first met, you-" I close my eyes and his words drift away as I'm pulled into my own forgotten memories.