10

"This is your new room." The guard roughly pushes me through the door and I fall to my knees.

"Oh you mean I get an upgrade? I feel so special." I flash a sarcastic smile and the Hydra guard just slams the door, slightly pushing my foot forward as it wasn't fully in the room.

"Who are you?" A female voice asks me. I don't recognize the accent and when I look up, I don't recognize the people standing there either.

"I could ask you guys the same question."

"Why are you here?" She throws another question out.

"Once again, I-"

"Could ask us the same question. We get it. But we asked first." The boy speaks up this time. His bright blue eyes are the first thing I notice about him, followed by the bright hair.

"Well technically she asked the question first." I point towards the girl and they both just stare at me. "Fine." I sigh and stand up. "I'm Riley." I pause. "This is where you guys would go 'hi, Riley.'" They both just stare at me again. "Ok. Not into that stuff I guess."

"I was captured by HYDRA or whatever they call themselves and now I have a special ability and now they just want to do a bunch of tests on me I guess."

"What are your powers?" The boy asks.

"Not answering until you guys speak up." I cross my arms and just stare back at the boy.

"I'm Pietro and this is Wanda."

"And you're here because..." I edge him to go on.

"We volunteered to be experimented on." I really don't understand why someone would volunteer to be put through this torture.

"I think I heard about you two around base. You're the only two that survived some dude's experiments right? You've got some powers now too. What are they?" The girl, Wanda, raises an eye brow at me, 'you first'. "I can heal wounds. And they said broken and sprained bones too but I haven't figured that out yet. Only minor scratches."

"I have telekinetic powers and my brother is fast."

"Fast? That sounds kind of stupid." All of a sudden, Pietro disappears, leaving a blue aura, before tapping me on the shoulder. I turn around and he has a huge smirk on his face. "I take that back. You're like Sonic the Hedgehog or something."

"That sounds stupid." He says it quickly before using his speed to go back over to his sister.

"You going to show me your powers?" I look over at Wanda.

"You want her to show you your worst fear?" Pietro, or Sonic as I now want to call him, asks.

"It sounds like a lot of fun," I say sarcastically. "But how about something a little more simple." Wanda turns and walks towards one of the bunk beds in the room. She uses hand gestures to lift up one of the pillows. I stare as a scarlet color surrounds the pillow in the air.

"Are you going to give us an example now?" Sonic asks.

"Are either of you hurt?" They both look at each other before shaking their heads. "And they obviously don't give us any weapons so I can't cut myself or something to show you." I sigh. "I guess you'll just have to witness my amazingness another time." I notice Sonic chuckle slightly. Maybe we'll actually get along.

"You were so cocky and sarcastic back then." Pietro says as I open my eyes again.

"That's cause it was before Ryan died."

"Did you ever even notice the big effect that had on you?" He grabs my hand, comforting me.

"I noticed the effects, but I never even really thought of a lot of them in a bad way. I mean, I have days where I just don't want to do anything but I figured it's cause I was still a teenager, even if I go out and save the world sometimes." I smile slightly at the end.

"I noticed right away. You didn't smile at all and didn't use nearly as much sarcasm. You would've made snarky comments before. You stilled used a few," He laughs, "But not nearly as many as you would have at the base. That's why I was worried about you. I didn't know Ryan had died until after I found your file."

"When I saw you that day at the base. I thought I was dreaming. They told me you were dead and I was naive enough to believe them. I thought there was no way you could be back, and even fighting with the Avengers. You had never wanted to fight. Sarcasm was usually your way of fighting." We both laugh. I did used to use sarcasm a whole lot more than I do now.

"Is all of this why you knew so much about me?" I notice his smile falter for a second.

"Yeah. You used to know a lot about me too."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault. How about another story to help you remember?" I nod my head and he begins talking.

"Let's play 20 questions." I attempt to come up with a game to play since the three of us have been sitting in this room doing nothing for who knows how long. "But actually ask more than 20 questions." Sonic nods. "And we'll both answer the questions asked so it's not just one person asking a question and the other going 'what about you?'" I try to mock his accent at the end but fail.

"Let's start easy. Where are you from?" I ask.

"Sokovia." He answers.

"I was born and raised in D.C. My dad got a job just out of college that made him move there and my mom followed." He nods his head. "Now it's your turn."

"What's your favorite color?" He asks.

"I like gold. It's the color of my powers." It occurs to me that he still hasn't seen me use them.

"I like blue or silver. Like my power." He smirks and I just laugh at him and call him a copy cat.

"How old are you?" I ask.

"Seventeen."

"Sixteen. I should have gotten my license a few weeks ago. I need to get out of here first though."

"Do you think you will get out of here?" I have to stop and think about that question. Of course I want to leave. I want to see my family again. See Ryan again. I want to live my life like a normal person. I don't want to have to worry about people being after me and I don't want to have to hide my power. I want to help people. But that doesn't answer the question of if I think I'll actually be able to leave.

"I hope I do. Do you?" He looks down at his hands in his lap and I decide to just move on. "What's your dream occupation?"

"пожарный. I want to help people, families in situations like what happened to my own family."

"I don't understand Russian." Sonic laughs and I just follow along, just accepting that I might never know.

"That one was only a few days after you had moved into our room. It's weird how young we both were."

"But here we are, almost 4 years later. Reunited." He smiles down at me and I can't help but smile back.

"The thing I don't understand is how they put me back into regular life. I don't remember my parents or Ryan ever saying anything about me being gone. I don't even remember thinking anything about how they looked older or anything even." Pietro just shrugs his shoulders. "I don't actually remember anything about my parents after getting out of there. At least I don't think I do." I see something flash in Pietro's eyes as I speak of my parents. It's probably just weird for him to hear about things after I left though since he had believed I was dead.

"I think it's time for you to get some sleep to help regain your energy." I sigh as I look up at Pietro.

"But I want to know more."

"You're always so curious." He leans down to kiss my forehead, sending shivers down my spine. "I'll tell you after we defeat Ultron. I promise."

"You'd better."