Chapter 1: Defeat

I was assimilated at Wolf359 and that's where I though my life had ended but in reality that's where my hell began. The Borg had always terrified me and even though I was a Starfleet officer and it was my duty to lay down my life in defense of the Federation all I really wanted to do was run and hide when the orders came to attack the Borg ship on its way to Earth. The Borg, just the mention of their name sends shivers down my spine. The day our ship was sent to the front line was, what I though at the time, the worst day of my life. But it was only the beginning of the hell that was to follow.

I was the first officer aboard a starship and I did my job well. I fought until the very end and we even managed to blow a hole in the side of that Borg ship but our position was quickly overrun. Our ship was damage beyond repair, we had no engines, life support was failing, most of he crew was dead including the Captain. The viewscreen was flickering on and off, interference making it almost useless but I could just make out the Borg ship, it was still around us. I picked myself up off the floor, I could feel I had a number of broken bones. I could hardly breath and my vision was tinted red as blood ran into my eyes. I managed to get to my chair on the bridge.
"Report" I demanded but no reply. I frantically read all the damaged system reports flashing up on the arm of my chair. We were in bad shape but maybe we could still do something. Maybe there was one more thing we could do to help.
"Computer set self destruct sequence to 1 minute. Command authorization Robins Gamma 147, enable." There was no hesitation or regret. If we could damage even part of that ship then that would be perfect. Plus we would have no chance to be assimilated. Win win or so I thought.
"Warning, self destruct sequence has been initiated, warp core overload in 54 seconds." The computers cold voice was oddly comforting as I sat back in my chair and listened to the countdown.
"Warning, self destruct sequence has been initiated, warp core overload in 30 seconds." The computer kept counting down as I watched the viewscreen through the interference. The Borg ship was near our position but luckily it was ignoring us for the most part and concentrating on the few remaining ships still limping around out there. The countdown continued and I was oddly calm. We did all we could do and my time is up. I was proud to be a Starfleet officer and I was so thankful to be a member of this crew. I, Commander Amaria Robins was about to die in defense of Earth and the Federation and I was at peace with this decision.
"Warning, self destruct sequence has been initiated, warp core overload in 15 seconds."
I looked one last time at the reports flashing up on the arm of my chair. Everything was ok for self destruct. Most of the internal sensors weren't working so I had no idea how much of the ship was still habitable but the overload was proceeding as planned and that was all that mattered. I looked back at the screen one last time and saw the Borg cube once more. It had stopped right in front of us. I went cold as I saw it, they couldn't interfere with the self destruct this late could they?
"Warning ,self destruct sequence has been initiated, warp core overload in 10 seconds. 9, 8..." The computer started counting down. This was the longest minute of my life. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the flash of a transporter and my heart sank. I grabbed my phaser and spun around shooting at the Borg that had just transported into the bridge.
"6... 5... 4..." The computer kept counting. I have never wanted to hear 1 so much in my entire life. I managed to kill one Borg before they had adapted to my phaser. Three of them came at me and one started accessing the computer. I lunged at the one accessing the computer  and managed to grab it and pull it away from the panel before I felt something hit the back of my head. I fell to the ground unable to move.
"Self destruct sequence has been aborted" The computer said in her monotone voice. I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry, I wanted to rip the Borg to shreds with my bear hands but all I could do was lay there on the ground paralyzed. Looking up I saw two of the Borg hover over me. I felt them inject something into my neck I tried so hard to struggle, I tried to yell and move my arms but nothing happened. I couldn't do anything, I couldn't move, I couldn't talk, and it was starting to get very hard to think. I was so tired. I closed my eyes and let unconsciousness drift over me. Hopefully I won't wake up.