Chapter 2: Resistance

Luck was not on my side as I started to hear things, mumbled voices. I began to open my eyes but something was very wrong. I didn't do it, I wasn't the one to open my eyes. I tried to close them, nothing happened. The voices are becoming louder and louder in my head. So many voices I can't bear it. I try to scream but nothing happens. I see someone out of the corner of my eye. It's a Borg, I try with all my might to get up but I can't move. I must still be paralyzed. The Borg works around me gathering equipment and placing it on the table I am laying on. He turns towards me with a laser scalpel in his hand and starts cutting open my arm. I scream at the top of my lungs. But no sound escapes my lips. I noticed he pauses for a second and then continues with his procedure. The pain is so intense, it's hot and burning and so totally overwhelming. The voices are getting louder as I feel myself getting lost in this pain.

No no no no no I am not giving in to this. I am not going to lose myself here and now. I have to hold on. My mind is racing over some random topics as if someone is accessing my memories and going through them as you would files on a computer. Possum! An image of one of my childhood pets, a kitten, flashed into my mind. I grabbed onto it with both hands and didn't let go. This, if I focus on this until the pain is gone then I can survive. I could see my cat asleep on the bed, then I could see her asleep on my lap, then running around the house. They were happy memories. These were old memories from before I joined Starfleet. I had rescued a lot of animals when I was younger but Possum was something special.

I was in my house on earth when I was 16 years old. I could hear a noise outside my bedroom window. I upended it up, looked outside and there in the bushes was a malnourished kitten, infested with lice and on her last legs. It looked as if she had used up all of her 9 lives and had come here to die. I ran outside with a blanket and gently placed her in the blanket and took her inside. I was friends with the local vet as I brought animals to him all the time so he was the first person I called.
"Daniel, Daniel, you gotta help me! I think she is dying, what do I do?" I was crying. This poor kitten was so small I felt utterly helpless and that made me panic. I don't usually get this upset but there was something about this kitten.
"Calm down Amaria. Tell me what's wrong." Daniel was a tall man in his late 30's with short brown hair. He was human and had always helped me out with all the sick and injured animals I managed to find while I was out exploring the countryside.
"It's a kitten, she is so sick. I think she is going to die, please help me?" I held the kitten in my arms and I was shaking.
"Ok I'll transport you both her and see what we can do" Daniel explained as he taped the console next to him.
"Thankyou" I ended the transmission and stood in the middle of the room with the kitten in my arms. A flash of light and a familiar noise swept over me as I was transported to the Veterinary hospital. Daniel ran over to the transporter pad in and I handed the kitten to him. He took her and headed straight for one of the scanning tables.
"I just found her outside my window, I didn't know what to do." I told Daniel all I knew about the kitten which wasn't much.
"Well we will certainly see what we can do" Daniel placed the kitten in the table and the scan commenced. "She has a broken back leg, severely dehydrated, malnourished and she has a high parasite load. She is in bad shape but I think you found her in time." He smiled at me and grabbed a hypospray and some other device I had no idea what it did and started working on the kitten. I just stood back and watched as he fixed as much as he could. I started to relax as I could see her vital signs on the display start to stabilize. Daniel finished his treatment and wrapped her up in a blanket and handed her to me.
"She is going to need ongoing treatment for her malnutrition but I know you can handle that. You know you found her just in time, minutes more and she would have passed away. She is one lucky kitten." Daniel also handed me a box containing her medication. I was familiar with the process so he didn't bother explaining it to me. I looked down at the kitten as she slowly started to open her eyes. She just looked up at me and I swear I could see her smile. She started purring and snuggled into me.
"Thank you so much Daniel." They were simple words but I mean them.
"No problems Amaria, you do like to challange me don't you, just when I think my day is going to be boring, you find a way to make it interesting. I'll Do all the usual searches to see if she has a family. But she wasn't microchipped so I am guessing she is feral. Do you have a name for her? I'll temporarily put her on your records."
"A name... I hadn't got that far." I looked down at the beautiful kitten in my arms and a name came to mind "Possum" I said "that will be her name"
"Ok Possum it is" Daniel put the name on her records and registered her as a lost pet. "I'll let you know if anyone contacts the surgery about possum, In the mean time try to stay out of trouble, the both of you." Daniel ruffled my hair and I smiled.
"I'll try." I walked over to the transporter pad
"Contact me if you have any trouble, ready?" Daniel taped the console next to the transporter pad.
"Will do, ready" I replied "cya"
"Bye, energizing." Daniel said as that familiar light and sound engulfed my vision once more and I found myself at home.