Quality over Quantity

Standing at the stove while preparing pancakes flashes of last night flooded back to me, making a stupid big grin spread across my face. Humming softly I flipped a very thick, tiny pancake around. It was an open kitchen plan so the delicious, sweet scent traveled to the living room, making my whole apartment smell nice. The fact that I was in a good mood had nothing to do with the pancakes though. I had a great night at the club, taking pictures left and right, dancing like I just didn't give a fuck together with Evan and drinking cocktails. It had been a while since I let go like that, I only ever did it together with my girlfriends, but it had been a while since we went out. I never thought I'd feel as comfortable around Evan as I felt around my girls, but he proved me I was wrong about everything when it came to him. He wasn't just a rich selfish bastard who banged girls and tossed time aside like they meant absolutely nothing to him. Turning off the stove I collected my plate with pancakes, I had made a ton since I wasn't good with measurements and I figured Evan would show up any second now and also crave something to eat. Walking into the living room I placed the plate down on the table and was about to head to the kitchen to collect plates for us when the doorbell rang, announcing his presence. Smiling I wiped my hands on my apron and headed to the door, opening it thinking it was Evan.

"Good...morning."

Chris raised an eyebrow at her, "Good morning to you as well, Zoey." He glanced over her shoulder, "You mind if I come in? Evan is on the phone with Emily and Nick so that's going to take a while."

I stepped aside, "Of course I don't mind." I quickly told him, trying to get my good mood back, "I was about to eat breakfast, you want to join me?"

Chris was already seated on the couch, his eyes shifting to the plate of pancakes, "Yeah, it smells good in here."

"I can't promise if it also tastes good, they don't have the exact same products as back home."

"I'm sure it's fine."

Smiling I entered the living room placing a stack of plates on the table along with some utensils and a plastic bottle with syrup. Chris shrugged his jacket off, tossed it aside and slid down the couch to sit at the table together with me. We both filled our plates up with pancakes and ate together while talking about last night. Chris showed us around when we first entered the club, Evan had already seen it, but he accompanied us anyway. When people started showing up and the club filled up we saw less and less of Chris, he was working behind the scenes, making sure everything ran smoothly.

"These are amazing, Zoey." Chris told me, "I don't mind having breakfast with your more often."

He was a charmer and when he said those things in his voice with that accent a girl couldn't help but melt like butter in his hands.

"You sound like this syrup which sweetened up my pancakes."

Christ threw his head back and laughed, "God, Zoey, that sounded fucking dirty."

I blushed, realizing he was right, "Yeah, I guess so."

"You're highly entertaining."

I shot him a playful glare, "I'm glad me embarrassing myself is entertaining you."

"Highly entertaining me." He corrected me, which made me giggle.

Finishing up my last pancake I placed the utensils down, placed my palms down on the ground and leaned back on it. My eyes lingering on Chris who leaned back against the couch for back support, looking comfortable around me. I was glad he felt like he could be himself around me. We were going to see each other a lot for three months straight so I was glad he was making an effort to get along with me. I was going to make an effort too, Chris seemed reliable and kind, I liked having people like him around.