Finding Happiness

Wandering to the department store I took in the sight of Priscilla skipping around, showing me pieces of clothing which would look cute on Matthew. The little had been with us for a week and was already getting rotten spoiled. I couldn't deny the fact that I was one of the people spoiling him. He looked cute, smelled amazing and was soft to the touch, I loved that baby boy. Evan though was completely taken over by him. He spent all his free time with Matthew, giving Emily and Nick some time to themselves.

"How about this one?" Priscilla asked holding up a onesie which would make Matthew look like a panda, "Wouldn't he look adorable in it?" She then spun around and collected a few more onesies, "And this one too."

Smiling at seeing how excited she got over animal onesies I joined her. Buying our baby boy too many clothing which he didn't need. It was necessary though. He was the first baby we welcomed to our little group of friends.

"I can't wait till I get to shop for you and Evan."

The paper bags slipped through my fingers, realizing what Priscilla was suggesting. Giggling she bend down and picked up the bags, scolding me for being so careless.

"Didn't think you'd be so surprised about that. I mean you and Evan are pretty serious, right?"

I couldn't deny that.

"We are."

"Then isn't wedding bells and cribs the next logical step?"

It was and I had been fantasizing about wedding bells, the cribs though, my mind never wondered to that. It was terrifying thinking about a big responsibility like that. A child needed more than just adorable onesies and cute toys. From what I could tell from Emily and Nick it was tiring, sucking the life out of you because it needed so much care. They loved doing it, but I wondered if it would be the same for me. I didn't want to strain my relationship with Evan.

"What if I don't make a great mother? I mean it's different taking care of Matthew because at the end of the day his parents do all the hard work. Feeding him, changing his diapers, almost never getting any sleep. I don't know if I'm strong enough to go through that and still love Evan the same way."

"Zoey, I think you're underestimating yourself. Putting the fear in yourself because you're afraid. You know it isn't that hard to take care of a little being who you'll love more than life. You'll do it without any regret and you know, you don't have to do it on your own because Evan is right there. Always taking care of the people who he loves most."

We headed to the awaiting car and got into the backseat after loading the trunk with our many bags. We continued our conversation about the future while the driver took us to Emily's.

***

Emily put away the clothing we bought for Matthew, shaking her head at seeing how many onesies we bought along with the necessary items like diapers and cotton onesies which Matthew could wear underneath his everyday clothing. I smiled as I watched Evan hold onto the boy while kissing his head. My boyfriend didn't notice anyone else in the room, it could make a girl jealous, but instead, I loved seeing that smile upon his face. He was happy and Matthew seemed to like where he was too. Making gentle sounds while he kicked his little feet from time to time.

"It's a cute picture isn't it?"

I glanced over my shoulder watching as Emily walked toward me, handing me a cup of hot cocoa, "Evan looks hot holding a baby like that, looking like the happiest man alive."

I smiled, not even bothered by the fact that Emily called Evan hot, because it was the truth. Evan was hot and charming. He could win anyone over, man or woman just by smiling at them. Priscilla walked past us and took a seat next to her brother, placing his cup of tea in front of him on the table. She listened as Evan talked to her about his day, also telling her about the time he spent with Matthew.