2.

Little Tyler opened the small window of his bedroom to look at the stars, as he did every night.

   No matter what happened during the day, looking at the millions of stars always made Tyler feel something he couldn't put into words. They're just up there, so free.

   As he gazed out the window, little Tyler noticed a small figure wandering along the sidewalk in front of his house.

   A kid, around Tyler's age.

  Tyler got a warm, velvety feeling when he saw him.
The boy noticed Tyler staring, smiled, and walked over to Ty's window easily.

   "Hi," he grinned. He was missing two teeth which made Tyler smile. "I'm Josh."

   "I'm Tyler."

    "Whatcha doing, Tyler?"

   "I'm counting stars." He felt a little embarrassed, but Josh didn't seem to think it was weird.

   "I love looking at stars!" Josh beamed.

   "Why are you outside alone at night?" Ty asked suddenly.

    "My cat got out and I was trying to find him. But he always comes back home," Josh shrugged.

  "But isn't it scary?"

   "I'm not scared," The kid giggled. "I'm never scared."

   "Won't your mom and dad be mad?" Tyler pressed. That's even scarier than the dark.

   Josh shrugged. Tyler couldn't imagine how angry his father would be if he knew he was leaving the house alone at night. The thought made him nauseous.

   "Hey, wanna go to my house?"

   Tyler looked at Josh with anxious brown eyes.

   "We can get to the roof from my bedroom window. You can see the stars way better."

   "My dad  would be really angry if I left." Tyler spoke quietly. Josh still had a hopeful smile on his face.

   "Just for a little bit? You can go back home before he wakes up."

   Tyler didn't answer.

   "I won't let anything bad happen to you." Josh promised.

   "Okay," Tyler nodded, "Just for a minute."

   Josh grinned widely and helped Tyler out of his bedroom widow. He grabbed the boy's hand, running towards Josh's house.

   Can boys hold hands? Tyler quickly shook the thought away.

  The two tiptoed around Josh's house until they made it up to the roof. Tyler couldn't help but smile; the sky looked unbelievable from the rooftop.

   "I told you it was way better." Josh said matter-of-factly. It was as if he had just read Tyler's mind. Ty smiled at Josh, his dimples showing. And Josh smiled back, his eyes squinting.

   "I like you, Tyler." Josh announced. Little Tyler blushed at his words, but he didn't know why.

   "I like you too, Josh."

   "Wanna be best friends?"

   "Sure." What little Tyler felt with Josh was too good to put into words.