Chapter Five: Quest Rejoined

The first rays of sunlight were just beginning to make their presence known. Donovan and Prince Everin led their expedition force through the Main Gates of Chandria. The air was filled with small wisps of fog, for the rising sun was already beginning to burn off the morning dew. He found himself taking a deep breath, reveling in the cool clean air.

"Four weeks from now, we will arrive at the Great Black Swamp. We need to make sure we are well rested and alert, for there is no telling what we will face when we arrive there," Prince Everin said.

Movement in the trees to Donovan's right, became four wolves led by a large silver male. Here and there, quick fleeting forms ran parallel to them, for the Dreena were out in force.

The sight made Donovan smile, knowing other allies had their backs as well. Brenna raised her arm, and Nadu hurtled in to perch upon her arm, in no time at all he was resting on her right shoulder.

"It may please you to know our eyes, ears, and noses will not be the only ones searching for signs of danger. The Dreena have formed a roving patrol around us. You will find their night sight, along with the rest of their senses, are invaluable," Donovan said with a gentle smile.

"Yes, I have spotted them from time to time. Ever since the subject came up about their existence, I have found myself intrigued. When we camp for the night, will they come forward? I would like to speak with them," Prince Everin inquired in ernest.

"I believe you will find they are just as curious about you, as you are about them," Brenna grinned.

"Aberith, look, the silver one over there must be Timitz, whom Brenna spoke about," Prince Everin said, pointing excitedly.

"The miracles the Great Mother has created are truly endless, such a magnificent creature. Brenna, my child, you have been truly blessed to have such a friend and guardian. You never were able to sense his power?" Aberith asked curiously.

"Yes, I truly feel blessed to have Timitz as a friend. No, evidently, he was careful to not change where I might sense it. My friend is charming and fiendishly clever," Brenna said, with a good-natured laugh.

From those close enough to overhear the conversation, good natured laughter filled the air. "It's days like this, which I never want to end," Donovan thought. The next seven days proved to be uneventful, regarding the sighting of any of the enemy. For all intents and purposes, they seemed to have just vanished.

Upon looking at the burning sun above, Donovan found himself wishing the weather would be just as cooperative. Seemingly every day, a storm would come rumbling through, drenching them. Immediately afterward, the hot blazing sun would shine, turning the air into a hot steamy oven. The only relief from the heat, was when the sun started to set, as it was doing now.

An hour later, Donovan, Morgan, and Prince Everin stood surveying their camp site, sheltered within a deep valley. In front of them, a large stream gurgled around and over various boulders. The water cascaded in a flurry of white foam, to disappear around a bend in the distance. The sound of the rushing waters relaxed him, and lightened his spirit.

Movement upon a nearby shelf of rock caught Donovan's attention. Four wolves stood watching them intently, with tails wagging.

"We have friends and allies, I need to introduce to you. They have patiently followed us and will travel with us to the sanctuary," Donovan said, alerting everyone to the Dreena's presence.

"Ahhh, I wondered when I would get the chance to meet them. Please, ask them to come forth and join us. I have looked forward to this ever since you mentioned them," Prince Everin said, smiling.