Chapter Fourteen

Hey guys! Thank you SO much for all the votes and reads, I'm really pleased at how well this is doing. I certainly didn't expect it when I began writing.

Since you all like this, would you all mind checking out another story of mine? It's called The Reaper. 

Thanks again guys!

Jay ^^

I watched as Harry slowly awoke, his glasses on the windowsill some ten feet away. He grinned as he realised what day it was and grabbed his wand, excitement painted on his face, which slipped off into a disgruntled look as his Summoning Charm caused his glasses to poke him in the eye. Ron sniggered, having been awake ten minutes already and waiting for this moment. 

"Happy Birthday, Harry." he said. 

"Yes, many happy returns of the day." I said, earning me a strange look from the boys. Too late, I remembered that mortals no longer used that phrase when wishing someone good will on the anniversary of their birth. Oops. 

"Thanks." Harry said, still giving me that strange look. 

"Sorry," I said. "I forgot you don't use that phrase any more." 

"It's not that. It's. . you." Harry said slowly, looking me up and down. I followed his gaze and realised I'd forgotten to turn back into Dean after harvesting last night's soul. I quickly did so, and Harry looked relieved.

Judging by the noise and smells wafting up from the kitchen downstairs, Molly had a huge feast prepared for Harry's birthday, and, judging from his grin, Harry was well aware of this. I knew the Weasleys meant a great deal to him, not that he had ever said anything to me - it was just what I knew.

Hermione walked in and told the two boys that breakfast was ready and waiting, and they shot downstairs. Hermione and I followed at a leisurely pace. 

"So, tell me, Hermione. How difficult was the Undetectable Extension Charm you placed on your bag?" 

She looked at me, her eyes silently asking the question her mouth began to form. 

"I can see magic. Your bag has a very strong spell on it. It must have taken a while to perfect." I said. 

She immediately looked flustered. 

"Oh, no, I managed to get it on my second try. The first time, the bag turned inside out, but the spellbook warned about that. It takes a great deal of concentration." she explained, then went on to explain just how the spell was performed, and the many uses for it. I knew she was very nervous, fearful of being caught by Molly at any moment was driving her crazy, and she just wanted to leave with the boys so they could get this over with, and she could get her parents back.

The two of us walked into the kitchen, where Harry and the Weasleys were already sat, eating and chatting, the Delacours jabbering to one another in French. 

I sat down and accepted the enormous plateful of food Molly placed in front of me. I knew she'd forgotten again that I had no need of nourishment. I'd explained this several times to her over the past few days, and she'd promised to not make me anything, as I'd told her to save food for others who might need it more, telling her that I knew she did not have much in the way of money, despite having won the Daily Prophet's grand prize four years ago. She had blushed, then poured out her worries to me, how she was afraid of losing everything, her family, her home, her life. I had soothed her worries and told her she had nothing to fear. 

I shook my head with a rueful smile and tucked in. Once again, my human guise took over and I found myself shovelling the food in. I hadn't eaten or drunk in almost a week, and my guise seemed to be taking over once more. I wondered what would happen if I let my guise take over completely for a moment, then banished the thought from my mind immediately. It would not do to lose sight of why I was truly here. I was not here to inconvenience these people, I was here for one thing and one thing only.