Chapter Eighteen

A few days passed, and Hermione was still in tears over Ron, while Harry refused to speak of, or about him, despite my attempts to ask what the two thought Ron would be doing. Harry's only reply was a scathing remark on how he was probably at home with Mummy, at which point Hermione walked out, sobbing. I soon noticed that, as far as they were concerned, it was like I was not there. They both seemed to look right through me, and, somewhere inside, I felt sorrow. It was not my fault Ron had left.

Finally, giving up one day, I got up and took myself off to where I sensed Ron, to find he was not there. He must have moved as I was travelling.

I turned to walk off to look for him, when a group of men up.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" one grinned.

I looked them all up and down, realising what I was dealing with. Snatchers.

"Can I help you?" I ask cooly, trying to walk by.

"Yes, actually." the man said, putting an arm out and pushing me back. "You can come with us. You know the rules around here - no one goes out after curfew - and this is most certainly after curfew."

"I was not aware of any such rule." I replied, knowing he was lying. There was no curfew at all.

He grabbed me. "Look, you little runt -"

"Fenrir Greyback, you will unhand me right this instant, or I will not be held responsible for what happens next." I spoke calmly, pushing aside the anger that rose in me. How dare this wolf touch me!

Fenrir roared with laughter, for it was indeed he who was the leader of this particular gang of Snatchers.

"Hear him, lads? Now listen, you," he snarled, shoving his face near mine and breathing heavily, causing me to inhale his foul odor. "I am the boss around here, and -"

I looked him in the eyes and dropped my disguise.

The other men stepped back, and fear filled Fenrir's eyes. "Not you!" he moaned, letting go of me immediately and attempting to step back, only to stumble and fall over my scythe, which I had stuck out purposely.

"I cannot wait until your time, Fenrir." I said pleasantly. "I have such fun in store for you. . ."

He gave a very animal like yelp and fled. The men followed, screaming. I chuckled to myself and walked off, now invisible and soon found myself at Shell Cottage once more. A steady, fine rain began to pour down, and within moments, I was soaked. Walking through the barriers that protected Shell Cottage, I walked up to the front door and knocked. The door opened, revealing Bill, who was surprised to see me stood on his doorstep.

"What are -" he began. I cut him off.

"It's very wet out here. Are you going to let me in?"

Looking bewildered, he stood aside to let me pass.

"I don't know why you didn't just walk in. It's not like you need an invitation. . .Death."

I dropped my disguise and turned to tower over him and look him in the eyes.

"Would you rather I appeared suddenly, without a word of warning, William?"

He took a step back and shook his head wordlessly.

I reverted back to my human guise and smiled. "Good. Now. Where is Ron?"

Bill pointed upstairs and I walked up them, to find Ron idly flicking the Deluminator on and off. Sitting down by him, I watched him. For some time, he did not seem to have noticed I was there, until, finally tiring of the lights going on and off again, I reached out and took it from him. The effect was electric; he yelped and fell off the bed, then stood up quickly.