Chapter 6

It was Monday morning and the sun was brightly shining inside the room. The weather was lovely and it really put a positive vibe in the air. Phil woke up with a genuine smile on his face. He was optimistic about the day and he had only just opened his eyes! He practically jumped out of bed, literally grinning as he opened up his wardrobe.

Happy mood, happy clothes!

Phil picked out his new pink jumper and his pale trousers.

As soon as he was changed, he stood in front of his mirror. He was smiling so wide that his cheeks were beginning to ache. He didn't care. Phil did a quick twirl and he thought the clothes perfectly suited him. Honestly, it made him feel amazing.

He felt like himself; it made him ecstatic.

-

Phil got downstairs and cheerfully sent a smile in his family's direction. His dad was staring at him in awe, obviously not believing one of his sons were wearing something so... feminine.

"That actually does look quite nice on you." Phil's mum said, sensing the awkwardness.

"Thank you!" Phil chirped, reaching into one of the cupboards to get a bowl.

"When did you get that jumper?" Phil's dad asked, looking slightly skeptical.

"Saturday."

"Why pink?"

"It's a nice colour!"

"Yeah... but it isn't exactly masculine, is it?"

"Oh well? I like it and so I'll wear it. Who cares if it isn't masculine?"

"I'm proud that you're my little brother," Martyn chipped in, hoping to save Phil from an awkward conversation about masculinity with their father. "Stand up for what you believe in!" Phil let out a small chuckle and his dad stayed silent.

"Thanks, I guess?"

-

Phil had his head held high as he walked through the school gates, ready to begin the brand new school day. He didn't really care when a few people stared at him like he was some freak of nature.

The sun was shining, Phil was smiling and he knew that day would be his day.

However, it all came crashing down when Phil accidentally ran into Luke in the corridor. Phil was walking past the lockers, smiling contently to himself. He was daydreaming, in his own perfect daze, when Luke appeared almost out of nowhere.

Their bodies collided and Luke's reaction was almost instant. Phil was thrown up against the row of metal lockers. His back slammed against the door, leading to a yelp from him. "Look where you're going next-" Luke cut himself off when he made eye contact with Phil. "Phil?" Luke sounded more than shocked (probably because of Phil's outfit). Then it must have kicked in because he just burst out laughing. He somewhat resembled a hyena with his high pitched cackle, either that or a witch of some sort.

"What are you wearing?" Luke said in between laughs.

"Something that suits me better than black." Phil retorted, still forcing himself to smile, despite the fear swirling in his chest.

Luke snorted. "What are you? Gay?"Gay. Phil bit his lip, unsure of what to say.

"No." 'Bi actually' Phil wanted to say but he didn't want to aggravate Luke anymore. The boy was already glaring at him with so much hatred in his eyes.

"What straight guy wears pink?" Luke spat the word 'pink' out like it was venom.

For some reason, Martyn's words raced through Phil's head.

Stand up for what you believe in!

"Any straight guy can wear pink. It's just a colour."

"It's a girly colour, Phil. It's flamboyant. Look me directly in the eye and tell me you're not gay." Phil thickly swallowed and looked up at Luke. His blue eyes seemed to shine with hatred and sparkle with pure evil. In Phil's head, he was a tiny mouse and Luke was a gigantic hawk, ready to kill its prey.

"I'm not-" Luke's eye's were glaring into Phil's and it was intimidating- to say the least. Phil struggled to look into them and eventually dropped his gaze downwards.

Luke generally believed Phil was gay and it infuriated him.

-

Phil was sobbing as he sprinted down the corridor. His body was aching and his head was throbbing with all of Luke's words.

The bell for tutor had long gone so there wasn't much point in Phil going to class. He headed into the boys' bathroom and locked himself in one of the stalls. He then sunk down and let out a loud sob.

That day was meant to be his day; why did Luke have to ruin it?

Phil was optimistic and ecstatic but then school came along and messed up all of his hope.