Chapter 9:

I stare at the wooden ovals in my hands.

Evaline is written on both of them. But one seems to be made from maple - I can tell because of the color. And the other is the one I carved earlier, from the roots of the bush.

But they both say Evaline.

I look up at her, trying to decide if I've ever seen her before last night. I can't remember. But surely she would have mentioned if she knew me before this. Or at least acted more familiar than she is.

Then again, she wouldn't be the only one lying in this equation.

It is possible I could have met her in a different time, and she just doesn't realize it. But if I had gotten close enough to carve her name, she would have to remember me.

Or maybe I had an extra piece of maple wood in my bag and I, forgetting I had carved the one from the bush, made two. I forget things often enough, it makes sense that I would forget something that makes me remember. As odd as it sounds, it does occasionally happen.

I look at Evaline again. She stares out the window, and I can't tell if she's sad or just remembering. I don't have very long to figure it out before she changes. She's small, her hair is lighter and her eyes are brighter. She's smiling hugely and she's missing her two front teeth. She sits with her knees pulled up to her chest and her cheeks are flushed and she looks quite adorable. Then she's older, maybe thirteen or fourteen, and she looks sad, terrified. She sits with her knees pulled up but her arms are around her stomach, and her cheeks are flushed but this time I think it's because of the tears. Now she's seventeen again, this time's Evaline, and while her eyes look sad and wistful, a small smile is playing on her face.

A familiar face. One that is sad and that I should be comforting.

And then it's back to little Evaline again.