Chapter 11:

If anything, the encounter with Eros and Quentin only draws up more questions for me. How is Blayke doing this? Why is he doing this? And how much validity did Eryl's evaluation of Blayke have? Quentin had called him the All Mighty. And even if he was joking, what would make him make a joke like that?

Eros is quiet, seemingly pretty pissed off about almost everything. I'm not sure what it is, but I have a feeling it has something to do with me. I've never met the man before in my life, so I don't have a clue how he could have a problem with me, but I'm not about to ask, either.

Something is off about Quentin, too, though. Nothing bad, exactly. He's just... interesting. With as sharp and angular as all his features were, I'd expect him to be colder. But he's warm, his voice and his laugh and, while some of his words should have sounded bitter, none of them ever did.

"You figured me out yet?" Quentin asks Eryl, whose hands had long since been cut free. Eryl glares.

"Almost." Quentin smirks.

"Let me know when you do," he replies to Eryl. To me, he says; "Does it always take him this long?"

"To do what?"

"Find out what type of Extra people are. I mean, most of us have a sort of sixth sense for this thing. This guy's just hopeless." Eryl picks up his pace to walk closer to Eros, and both of them look equally irritated.

"He has a better sixth sense than you'd think," is all I say back to him.

The land turns from dirt streets and run down wooden buildings to fields of wheat and corn. We walk for hours. Everything feels cold and heavy and wet, and I honestly have no clue where we are. Every tiny shack we pass is made of wooden boards, without a hint of white plastic in sight. It's hard to believe the Dominion had ever ruled this place.

"Where is Blayke?" I ask.

"Not anywhere near here. Way too dangerous," Quentin says around a mouthful of yellow bread.

"Are there lands over the Eastern Seas? Is that where he is?"

"If she's really as important to him as he said, if this is really the right girl, why wouldn't he tell her where he'd be when this all went down?" Eros snaps, without looking back at us. I try not to let my face show how hard his question hit me.

"Yes, he's always this bitter." Quentin whispers. "But it's not his fault, really. The Dominion burned him pretty bad,"

"How?" I ask. Quentin shakes his head.

"Not my story to tell, princess. But you'll see. It'll all click together," I look at him oddly. None of this seems real, to be honest. Nothing has seemed real since I returned from my mission in Brazil, actually. Or maybe that's just the feeling that comes with not being in the loop. Eryl knows something, Net knows something, Quentin and Eros know something, everybody knows something that I don't. Normally something like that wouldn't bother me, but somehow this time all of these things I didn't know seem to directly affect me and everything going on in my life. In fact, it pretty much is my life.

We walk farther into the wheat and corn, and eventually Quentin quickens his pace to walk with Eros, and Eryl slows his pace to walk with me. Nobody speaks, not because there's nothing to say, but because there is nothing to be said to me. Quentin seems like he wants to tell me what he knows, but Eros is obviously dead-set against it.

I wish Net were here.

I suddenly find myself missing him, almost as much as I miss Blayke. The feeling comes with a pang in my chest and I have a sudden sinking feeling that I won't never see Nethanyel again. Part of me knows that isn't true; it couldn't be. Net is my brother and the day I wouldn't see him again would be the day one of us died.