Chapter 21:

I wade through the small crowd, looking around at the people, the items on display. I decide I like this place, a lot. Hopefully there will still be a this place to come back to after the war is done and over with.

Can Blayke and I really end all of this? It's still a concept I can't wrap my head around. How would we even do that? Combine our powers. If Necromancers could split powers, certainly they could combine them? But what would that even mean, if we did do it? And could it be dangerous? If channeling our combined powers through Vladimir would kill him, then it can't be a good idea. I killed one man to save my own ass, and I have no intention of doing it again.

Evaline, people already have.

But people already have died. Mothers, fathers, children, unborn miracles and so many more. All ages and sizes and races and classes. This war, it knows no boundaries. The corrupt, prejudice governments on the other side of the sea know no mercy. Sacrificing one life to save everyone else's... Is that option ever going to have an easy answer? Is it ever going to be worth it? If I could say this Vessel was bad, like a murderer or something, then maybe I could bring myself to do it. I don't know Vladimir; maybe he is a murderer. But he was nice to me. He tried to help me, when he sent me forward. And I can't just kill him like he's nothing.

Eventually I find myself back in front of Miriam's Bakery, and the delicious-sounding blueberry pastry is still on the menu for five frel a dozen. With the unreasonable amount of money Blayke gave me, I enter the small shop and order two dozen of the tiny little things. The woman behind the counter - Miriam, I'm assuming - hands me a small wicker box, lined with papers on the inside and stuffed with a warm, flakey mix of blueberry and strawberry pastries. They're sweet, but delicious, and I munch on them like chips as I continue to wander around the Eastern city.

I think over my first full day here. It's been mostly nice - pleasant, even. Catching up with Blayke, reveling in being with him, and just being... well, happy. When I lost my family, I became much more callous than I used to be. But now, knowing Blayke is alive and that, while Net did lose sight of my father in a crowded war zone, there is still a large chance of him being alive, I don't feel that anger anymore, or that sadness. I'm starting to turn into me again.

As much as I would love to just stay in the Eastern Lands and live out my life with Blayke and Net and Eryl, and all the other people who've helped carry me to this new life, I know I can't. I'll finish off today - I can afford to let myself have at least that much. But, tomorrow morning, I go back to my Turner instincts. I find a way for Blayke and I to combine our powers, I find Vladimir, and I find a way to end this war. And, if I can, I'll find a way to save everyone's lives.

Eventually my aimless wandering takes me to a clothing store, where I purchase new everything, and then back to Indiana's jewelry store. I like this place very much. I wander over to a cracked glass case, peering at the brightly colored beads strung onto delicate silver chains.

"Unusual, aren't they?" Indiana appears by my side. I nod.

"They're personal ones," she continues. "You pick the color beads, what you want on them, and I can make you one."

"How much?" I ask.

"Thirty frel for the chain; two nickels a bead." I count out the remaining money from Blayke, debating whether or not I should spend it all. Now that I've given Blayke back is basketball pendant, my neck feels empty. It's an uncomfortable, oddly exposing feeling, and I'd like to get rid of it as soon as possible. But I want it to mean something, to stand for something.

"I'll take one," I hand Indiana my remaining bills.

"Excellent choice, dear. Come on over here, and we'll fill out the form."