Chapter 17:

The flight to Ward Seven is long, but somehow the hour for refueling seems even longer. I'm more anxious than ever to get to Blayke. I just need someone to help me make sense of things, and I have every reason to believe that Blayke knows exactly what is going on.

I get used to flying fairly quickly; after the initial stomach-lurching take off, it feels pretty natural. Then Eros announces that we're landing in the Eastern Lands, and I find that the landing - the sudden jerk of the plane as its wheels hit the asphalt runway - is far more terrifying than the roller-coaster feeling of lifting off into the air.

I had expected the Eastern Lands to be underdeveloped, a sort of mystical city hidden in forest and wreckage. I don't think my assumptions were that crazy; until a few days ago, I hadn't even known there was anything over the Eastern Oceans.

I don't think I've ever been so close to right and yet still so wrong in my entire life.

The first thing I see is the sunlight. It glints off of everything; the tall, smooth metal buildings, some with entire floors on display behind crystal glass walls. Not exactly wreckage and forests, but mystical? Pretty damn close.

And the next thing I see, is more fantastic to me than anything this city has to offer.

"Ev," his voice hits me like a tidal wave. His hair is a lot shorter than when he left, but it just allows for a completely uninterrupted view of his gorgeous blue eyes. I don't know how to react to him, standing there in front of me for real, alive and just as perfect as the day he left me.

"Baby," he chuckles slightly, his thumb moving across my cheek to rid it of the tears I hadn't even realized I was shedding. At his touch I'm no longer paralyzed. I throw my arms around him, thinking he was much shorter when I last saw him. His arms wrap around my waist and he keeps me in a tight hug for what feels like forever but still isn't long enough.

"I've missed you," I say, my voice breaking. Blayke smiles down at me, his lips meeting mine for the briefest of moments - much too brief for three years apart.

"Believe me, Evaline, I know. And I wish I would have never had to leave - but we'll talk about all that later. Now we need to get you someplace safer,"

"This isn't safe?" I look around at the beautiful city, the sun reflecting off of everything in sight.

"Not for us." Is all he says on the matter. Blayke's fingers twine through mine and he presses a kiss to my forehead. I'm reluctant to pull away from him; what if he disappears? I've just gotten him back - which I still can't believe - and the last thing I want is to be away from him again.

"Don't worry, Ev; I'm not going anywhere." He smiles, as if he can read my mind, then turns to the men who helped bring me here.

"Quentin, Eros - your payment has already been wired to your accounts. You can feel free to roam the city - or to fuel up and head back home, if you want." Blayke tells them. Quentin nods.

"You can fly back, buddy; I think I'll kick it here for a while." Quentin tells his friend, then gives him a slap on the shoulder and wanders deeper into the metal jungle that makes up the Eastern Land.

"Eros," Blayke calls as the short Italian man begins to walk away. He turns back, his hand wrapped around the locket with the picture of his Esmeralda. I know that feeling that a necklace can bring when it's the only real thing you have left of a person.

"Yes?" Eros replies, waiting.

"You'll notice that your payment hasn't been wired. I thought you might appreciate it in a different currency," Blayke smiles at his friend. Eros gives him an odd look, but doesn't ask any questions. I turn to look at Eryl, who is staring around at the city with the most confused look on his face.