Chapter 5

"Hey, this is Holden Samuels. Sorry I missed your call, leave your name and number and I'll be sure to get back to you soon. Thanks." I close my eyes, not sure how I feel about getting his voicemail. I know he's fine back in his apartment, but hearing his voice right now would really calm me down. I want him to tell me everything's okay, not to worry; he'll take care of it. On the other hand, I'm not sure how he would react to what I'm about to say.

I wait for the beep, talking straightaway, "Hey, H. Right now I'm sitting in the parking lot of the hospital on 23rd, and I'm freaking out. I know that probably wasn't the best way to start this voicemail, but I'm not sure what all to say. I lied to you earlier and I'm so sorry. I promise I'll explain everything when I get home later, but I don't have time right now.

"I went to see Josh earlier when I told you I was going into work. I know it was terrible of me and I will tell you everything, but right now I'm at the hospital because I think I'm an aunt now. Josh said Eli was here, that the girl he got pregnant went into early labor. I had to come and find out for myself. I'm sorry and I promise I'll be home safely."

I take a deep breath, ready to add more when the beep cuts me off. I exceeded the maximum amount of time allotted for a voicemail, and I take that as my cue to go into the hospital. I look around the unfamiliar parking lot, psyching myself up to go inside.

There could be a little baby in there, one that's part of my family. The thought warms me even though I'm not really sure what family means. Mine has been dysfunctional since I was born; I've never known the love and joy from being around the people who share my genes.

I hold my breath, not allowing myself to exhale until I've gotten myself completely out of the car. My whole body is shaking and I have to force myself to take each step toward the hospital doors.

After I cross the threshold, however, I'm a completely different story.

My blood is racing and I'm frantic. I have to know about my brother, his child. When I found out from Luke, I didn't think I would care this much. My brother has been dead to me for so long, but he's family. His child is family. My family. Just because everybody else in my family is completely fucked up doesn't mean the little bundle of joy has to be.

I run to the front desk, pushing my hair away from my face, "I'm looking for someone. A baby."

The receptionist looks confused and I can see her gaze flit from me to her phone, debating whether or not to call security. I backtrack, trying to think of a better way to phrase what I want.

"My brother's girlfriend...or girl he knocked up. She went into labor this morning; she was only a little over seven months pregnant. I'm trying to find them," I practically shout.

I don't mean to be so pushy, but I need to find them. Now.

"Okay, miss. What's your brother's name?"

"Elijah Stevens. Or Elliot Samson. I don't know what name he checked in under."

"Oh!" Realization lights up her mousy face. "You're the boxer's sister?"

I push images of Eli fighting Holden from my mind, nodding at the woman, "Yes ma'am."

"You should've just said that, honey. He checked in under Elijah Stevens, but I recognized him as a boxer, of course," she boasts. "I went to his match against that Holden Samuels guy a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure who was going to win. I wasn't sure who I wanted to win; they were both just so cute."

"Ma'am, if you could give me a room number, it would be greatly appreciated," I try not to let my annoyance get the best of me. The fight she's gushing about was my worst nightmare come to life.