Chapter 7

Holden has the television blaring and I try to ignore the sound while making lunch, but it's almost impossible. Him and Sterling are in the living room, watching the news, it seems. It only took a week for the pair to decide they were friends. It only took two weeks for them to become best friends. And it only took four weeks before they started driving me crazy.

If Holden's here, Sterling is too. The only exception to that is at night, when Holden sends Sterling back to his own house so he can have alone time with me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the newfound friendship. Sterling has quickly become my friend, too, but hearing the two talk all the time can be maddening. I don't even join in their training sessions anymore; the two only shit talk each other to try and make the other one work harder.

Holden's first match since Eli is in two days, and although he's completely ready for it, I can't help but be a little nervous. Sterling keeps assuring me that Holden's got the match in the bag, that he's way better than the opponent he'll be facing. While I believe him, it's hard to be completely calm.

I walk into the living room, a mound of sandwiches on the plate I'm carrying. I place the plate on the coffee table, ignoring how the men immediately dig in.

Taking a seat between the men, I lean into Holden and focus my gaze on whatever they're watching. Eli's face flashes on the screen and I can feel my heart jump.

"What are you watching?"

Both men seem to have missed the picture of my brother, but I need an answer.

"Some judge show," Sterling talks with his mouth full. "It's like Judge Judy, but less interesting."

I lean forward, focusing on the screen, "What are they talking about?"

"Tomorrow's live show," Holden shrugs, allowing his eyes to roam back to the TV. "Holy shit, T, that's your brother."

"No shit, Sherlock."

A woman comes across the screen and I motion for both men to hush, watching the television attentively.

"Tomorrow on Judge Macy Mason," she starts.

"That's a terrible name," Sterling adds.

I don't respond, I only slap him one on the arm to get him to shut up. It works, just like it always does.

"We have a legal custody case between temporarily-suspended boxer Elijah Stevens, also known as Elliot Samson, and Rachel Turner, the woman who has been attached to boxer Ryan Patrick on multiple accounts. Records suggest that after a one-night stand with Stevens, Turner found out she was pregnant and went through with the pregnancy, giving birth to a baby girl two months ago. The child was premature, but now she and the mother have been released from the hospital. The trial will be publicized right here, live at two p.m. Eastern."

I feel Holden's hand on my back, gently rubbing circles. His touch calms me, but I'm not sure how to even process the information I just heard.

I knew there was going to be a custody case. I even knew it was going to be publicized, but seeing the information on television hits me like a train. Margaret's face flashes to the front of my mind, the tiny little baby the sweetest thing I'd ever seen.

Lifting myself from the couch, I walk into the bedroom, ignoring the way the mattress shifts when I sit down on the bed.

Rachel's right, Eli is going to win. If she wasn't sick, she may have had a chance, but with it, there's no hope.