03.

DR

Chapter 3 | Ocean of Secrets

"He is so scary, Daya." Rose announced, pacing back and forth in my motel room.

Rose, Julian and I decided to study together, we weren't really as close, so these next two months would be a great opportunity to get to know eachother.

"You think so?" I asked.

She stopped in her tracks with wide eyes.

"You don't think so?"

"He ain't that scary." Julian added. "I can take him."

"He killed 24 women and he's got an IQ of 144, he can murder you and make it look like a suicide." I chuckled, shaking my head at his idiocy.

"Whatever."

When 12 pm rolled around, we began to make our way to Sagamore. Today Dr. Sutton would be choosing one of us to perform the first official exercise, although we had no idea what it was, we were still excited; well, I was excited.

"Hello everyone." He greeted as we stepped into his office. "I hope you've all slept well, we have a lot of work to do today.. I've decided to choose Dayanara for the exercise, you were so professional yesterday and I want you to perform another dialogue, one on one this time.

Rose and Julian had expressions of relief plastered across their faces, what a bunch of wusses.

"A camera has been set up in Christopher's room, we'll be able to hear and watch everything from this interface. A taser will be provided, just in case, but Mr. Brown's been very cooperative since he has arrived. If I see things getting inappropriate, I will come and get you."

I nodded. "I'm ready."

"Just have a normal dialogue, but this time try to get some answers, very subtly. Try to focus on his past, that's something he refuses to speak about."

"Well, with all do respect Dr. Sutton, if that's something he refuses to speak about what makes you think he'll speak about it with me?"

"You never know, Dayanara. It's worth a shot, and take down some notes as well."

I nodded. "Alright."

A chair was set up a few feet away from Chris' bed, he had a TV on his dresser and a polaroid camera by his side. He looked up at me when I entered.

"You smell heavenly, what is that? I can't seem to recognize it."

"It's called Euphoria, I've had the bottle for awhile, today was my first time putting it to use." I informed taking a seat in the chair.

He tilted his head to the side as he got a good look at me. "You look different... Have you done something new to your face?"

"My eyebrows." I touched the left one. "I plucked my eyebrows."

"Ahhh.. For me?" He smiled.

If I wasn't mistaken, I'd think I melted in my chair.

I chuckled, trying to disreguard his flirtatious remark.

"So I see you've gotten a camera, and a TV.. Do you like taking pictures?" I already knew the answer to that.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do." He positioned the camera in his hand. "Do you mind if I?"

"No."

"Smile for me."

I sat up in my seat and flashed a bright smile, the photo then printed from the camera, he waved it back and forth before getting up and handing it to me.

The smell of his natural scent made my knees go weak, and I was sitting down. He smelled fresh, like fresh linen, mixed with the scent of his deodorant.

I wasn't even a tad bit of nervous like I should've been, and I couldn't figure out why. I was sitting five feet away from a man who had killed 24 women. Why wasn't I afraid?

I was admiring his facial features, and the scent of his body, and the way he spoke, and the way he smiled— maybe I should be locked up in this room instead of him.

"Are you alright, Dayanara?"

"Oh, I'm fine, thank you." I snapped back into reality. "Hey, Chris, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything you'd like amour."

"I'm sure you have family, right? Do you keep in contact with any of them?"

He was silent as he began fiddling with his camera.

"No." He said suddenly. "What about your family? Do they know you're here? A couple feet away from a serial killer that could snap your pretty little neck at any given moment?"

"I don't have any family, just a bestfriend, and yes as a matter fact she does know I'm here, sitting five feet away from a serial killer, who is absolutely capable of snapping my neck, at any given moment."

He was silent, taken back even. It was obvious he wasn't expecting me to say that.

But within seconds Dr. Sutton was in the room, a look of panic was spread across his face.

"Is there something a matter?" I questioned, looking at him.

"I'll be standing right outside of this door." He whispered in my ear, I nodded.

Chris' eyes pierced through mine as they landed back on him.

"It's about what I said." He chuckled. "He's nervous.. I said I could snap your neck at any given moment, I didn't say I was going to do it."

"It's protocol."

"You said you have no family. Are you an orphan?"

Although the focus of the conversation is supposed to be on the patient, psychologists are more likely to get them to open up if they answer any personal questions they have.

"I am. Can you tell me something about you now?"

"I kill beautiful women like you for fun."

"Would you consider that a hobby, Chris?"

"Most definitely." He chuckled, getting up from his bed. "Everything about me lures you in. My voice, my face, even the way I smell."

I stayed seated, tranquil, relaxed.

He began to pace around his room with the camera in hand.

"If you think I'm going to hurt you, I'm not." He said suddenly.

"I wasn't thinking that at all."

He looked at me, blankly.

"I actually wanted you to take another photo of me, can you do that Chris?"

He held the camera up to his eye as he got ready to snap the photo, I flashed another bright smile before the new picture printed out.

"You can keep that one for yourself."

He nodded.

"Are you always like this?" He questioned.

"Like what, Chris?"

"Calm. Undaunted, fearless."

It was silent before he started chuckling.

"You're in the same room with America's Most Wanted, the most "charming serial killer in history". Is that what my wikipedia page says?" He chuckled ingenuinely. "Why aren't you showing some type of emotion?"

Before I knew it, he was inches away from my face. His hands were holding on to the sides of my chair. This was the closest I'd ever been.

"I can't read you." He said. "It's like, your em—"

"Back away, Christopher." Dr. Sutton said as he barged into the room.

He let go of the sides of my chair, and put his hands up in defense.

"Are you alright, Dayanara?"

"I'm fine, just, fine." I kept my eyes locked on Chris as I got up from my seat. "Enjoy the rest of your day, Christopher." I waved, exiting the room.