05.

DR

Chapter 5 | Just, Fascinating

        "My mother.." Chris said, breaking the long string of silence. "She died of aids when I was 9, she was a prostitute."

I was in complete shock.

Not because his mother was a prostitute, or that she died of aids.

But because he had just opened up to me, something in which I hear is scarce.

"And how does that make you feel?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't care, in fact, I don't care at all. She was never around. My aunt took me in." He began smiling. "I loved that woman. She made sure I had everything a kid could ever want."

"And what about your father?"

"Never met him, my mother ain't know who he was, she was a whore."

"You said you don't keep in contact with any of your family, am I right?"

He nodded. "I've been shunned." He chuckled. "They've all disowned me."

He got up from his bed and leaned up against the vacant wall next it, his arms were crossed over his chest, and he'd been looking at me, like he was trying to find something in my eyes.

Before I got a chance to say something, my phone began vibrating. I checked it quickly, only to see Ayden's name across the screen.

I stared at it for a few seconds before locking it and putting it back in my pocket.

When I looked up, Chris had still been staring me down.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"Who was that?"

"Nobody."

He tilted his head to the side. "You're lying to me."

"Nobody important."

"Oh come on, I know something is bothering you, and it has to do with whoever just called your phone. Tell me."

Chris was very sharp-witted, something I've been noticing lately. He picks up on things quick, he'd make a great psychologist.

I sighed, keeping in mind that this session was being recorded, and watched live.

"My ex-boyfriend.." I said. "He's been blowing up my phone for days."

This intrigued him, he moved his back from up against the wall and stood up right, his arms were still crossed.

"Well? Continue." He insisted.

"He was uh, cheating." I said lowly. It was rather embarassing, and the saddest part is I'm talking about it with a murderer. A sexy, deranged, alluring, murderer. "I had a feeling, you know, women have this sixth sense I guess you can say. He started acting different, he was always blowing me off and then he'd come up with these poor ass excuses as to why. I knew he was cheating, I was just indenial." I chuckled bitterly as I stared down at my intertwined hands.

He looked at me a few seconds before beginning to speak.

"It's a rush, you know. Almost the same rush I get when I'm looking into a woman's eyes as I'm robbing her of her last breath." He chuckled a few seconds. "I was in a relationship before, and I know you're probably thinking Chris? A serial killer in a relationship? Well, I was, I was young, 18, maybe 19. I was a cheater, a liar, a narcissistic asshole. But there's always this rush at the beginning of a relationship, a sea of euphoria; I confused that rush with love. And in due time I started to become afraid, yes, afraid. I was afraid of commitment, real intimacy, so what did I do? I started cheating on her, I started cheating so I could distance myself, that way I never had to fully rely on her for anything. But don't get me wrong, not all guys cheat, and not all cheaters cheat for the same reason, but that was mine. I was scared. That's why I loathe fear, it holds you back."

"Thank you for sharing that with me." I said.

This made me look at Christopher Brown in a whole new light.

He was so, perceptive, so, cultivated.

The way he conversed with me made me question if he really even was a serial killer. He didn't interact with me the same way he interacted with the others.

"...So don't think it was your fault he cheated, cause that's exactly what you're thinking." He said, looking me straight in the eyes.

"You're acting like the psychologist, and I'm acting like the patient." I said.

He laughed. "How ironic."

My alarm sounded, it was 1:30, indicating that the session was over.

I sighed as I rose up from my seat. "It was nice talking to you Chris, I appreciate the act of courage, you know, opening up about your past."

He nodded. "Will I see you tomorrow?"

"I don't know, I guess it depends on what Dr. Sutton wants to do. I'll see you soon." I smiled, heading toward the door.

Keep it professional Daya, do not fuck this up. I thought.

When I entered Dr. Sutton's office, the interface was off, and Rose and Julian were seated in front of his desk.

"Did you guys get a chance to watch the session?" I questioned.

"Uh, no, I was actually just about to inform them about what we had discussed yesterday." Dr. Sutton said.

I quietly sighed in relief, I was glad they didn't hear my sob story about Ayden.

"Mr. Brown had made a threat yesterday containing you two. Due to it's extent, I have to let you go. I'm truly sorry."

Rose's eyes lit up, she got up from her seat, along with Julian.

"So we can leave?" He questioned, Dr. Sutton nodded.

"Let's go!" Rose exclaimed, grabbing Julian's arm. They almost flew out of his office.

"Well that went smoother than I expected." Dr. Sutton mumbled.

I chuckled as I took a seat.

"How did it go in there?"

"It went great, he opened up about his past."

Dr. Sutton's eyes went wide. "Seriously?"

I nodded. "His mother was a prostitute, she died of aids when he was 9 years old. He never met his father, and his aunt took him in."

"Excellent work Rivera!.. How did you get him to tell you?" He leaned in closer to me.

"Nothing, in fact he just came out and said it."

"He must feel comfortable with you, I guess you and him have a vibe that connect. Anywho, excellent job. This will help us narrow down our options."

I nodded, rising up from the chair. "Will I be coming in tomorrow?"

"No, take the day to relax. You've done a lot."

I nodded again, slightly disappointed. "Alrighty then."

I exited out of his office and made my way back down the hallway, I stopped at Chris' door, he didn't have something blocking the miniature window.

I looked at him, he was sitting down on his bed with his back up against the wall, feet dangling. He had his head in a book, he rested his chin on the palm of his right hand.

Fascinating. Just, fascinating.

Comment 🤗