04.

DR

Chapter 4 | Like A Switch

      "He's fascinating." I spoke into the phone. "Just.. Fascinating."

"You're calling a serial killer fascinating? Yeah, now I'm totally convinced there's something wrong with you." My bestfriend, Ariel, responded.

"I know it sounds bad, but this man, there's a motive, and now I have to figure it out."

"Don't get killed, Daya. That's all I'm going to tell you."

I chuckled. "How supportive."

"Hey.. You know Ayden's been asking about you."

"Oh yeah? Well I don't care, tell him he can kiss my ass."

"What happened anyway? I mean I know he cheated but you never went into detail. I'm your bestfriend, how could you not go into detail?"

"There's no need to go into detail, he cheated and that's that."

She sighed. "Whatever, I gotta clock back in, the manager is staring me down from across the room."

"Alright." I chuckled. "Call me later."

"I will, bye."

"Bye."

I let her end the call and stuffed my phone into my back pocket.

It was 11 in the morning, I'd been an hour early to Sagamore. I was sitting in the vacant cafeteria watching as the orderlys made their way in and out.

Only then did I see not one, not two, but three orderlys bringing Chris towards the cafeteria. His hands were chained together, and by the look on his face I could tell he was aggravated.

"Can you loosen these shits? They cuttin' off my fuckin' circulation." He growled at one, but they all ignored him. Instead, they flung him to a lunch table a few feet away from me. He didn't notice me until I cleared my throat.

"Dayanara." He said.

"Do not speak to her." An orderly said.

I looked at him. "It's fine, I'm apart of his evaluation.. What are you doing out here?"

"I'm permitted to eat outside of my room once a week, but that's going to be impossible if they don't loosen my fucking chains." He glared at the orderlys.

A tray of what looked like green beans and some type of mystery meat was sat down in front of him, he stared at the food, disgusted.

Before I could blink, green beans and the mystery meat were flying everywhere.

"Take me back to my room!" He yelled as he banged his fists on the table. "Take me back!"

He was so angry, and just like a switch, he flipped.

But I wasn't afraid, and I think, even if his hands weren't chained together, I still wouldn't be afraid.

I watched as the orderlys hauled him out of his seat and back down the hallway, I heard his screams and his crys, it was like hearing a child having a temper tantrum.

My heart shouldn't have been aching but it was.

Omniscient POV

       It was silent for the long five minutes Rose and Julian had been sitting in Chris' room. He was unresponsive.

Daya and Dr. Sutton watched the interface closely in his office, she was so eager to ask if she could perform the exercise instead of Rose and Julian, but they were interns too.