Chapter 10: Lost and Found

(Yang)

I looked over Blake, horror turning into a rage as I gradually rolled Blake onto her back. Blake was barely breathing and was paler than a ghost as I gently shook her shoulder in panic.

"Blake? Blake?! Please answer me," I said, my voice rising in alarm and worry. 

Blake didn't respond as she weakly coughs, fresh blood coming up, staining her lips. I cried out, "Blake!" 

My heart was pounding, hands shaking as I tried to get my brain to work, to at least figure out what to do.  I knew my eyes were flashing crimson as I fumbled to get my scroll, tears streaming down my face.

I trembled as I dialed 911. After telling the police where I was and what happened, I cradled Blake's head in my lap, running my fingers through her hair. 

While rocking back and forth, I said with a tremble in my voice, "it's going to be okay. It's going to be okay. You're safe now, and I got you. I got you." 

I go on, feeling guilty and apologetic. My voice cracked as I told her, "I am so sorry, Blake, I am so sorry I couldn't prevent him from taking you. I am sorry that I couldn't protect you." 

An ambulance soon arrives with a cop car as I was asked a million questions about what happened. Meanwhile, Blake is checked over, and the medics seem to be taking forever to get her inside the ambulance. 

This engaged me, especially when I was already feeling overwhelmed. It pissed me off that they weren't hurrying her to the hospital yet, I snapped at the medics, "what the fuck are you doing?! Take her to the goddamn hospital! She needs help!" 

The medics replied cautiously, "we need to check her over and set her before we take her in. We're sorry, ma'am, and please be patient, we are doing our best."

I wasn't pleased to hear this as I clenched my fists, eyes flashing crimson. Feeling myself grow hot, I stomped a foot in their direction, nearly screaming at them as I said, "It is quite obvious what is wrong with her, now take her to the mother fucking hospital! She could be-"

I couldn't bring myself to say the word as it stopped in my throat and suffocated me. The medics took a step back from me slowly before they put Blake on a stretcher, loading her in the back of the ambulance. I promptly got on Bumblebee and followed them to the hospital. Blake is instantly rushed to an emergency room as they force an angry and wild me to stay in the waiting room. 

I paced as I dialed Ruby and caught her up on what's happening.

Ruby rapidly replied in a clearly panic-filled tone, "I will be there as fast as possible, see you soon. Love you, bye!" 

She hangs up as my pace hastens with the pounding of blood in my ears. I called Weiss next, reiterating what I recently told Ruby, which garners the same response. I sit down after a while of pacing before Ruby and Weiss rush in and sit by me, their faces are worried and tense. I impatiently tapped my foot as I gripped the armrests of the chair. 

I still felt hot, my blood still boiling from earlier. I was on edge and couldn't calm down, my eyes remaining red. I felt Ruby gently place a delicate small hand on my shoulder, trying to figure out what to say.  

It was Weiss that spoke up first, speaking in a rare soothing tone, "Yang, she will be okay. She may be… reclusive and all, but she is a survivor, she will pull through." 

This makes me snap, my tone harsh as I countered, "she should be out here. It's my fault she is in that room in critical condition!" 

This makes Weiss angry as she calmly but coldly snapped back, "stop blaming yourself! Blaming yourself is not going to get you anywhere, and it will definitely not help her!"  

Ruby nervously scratches the back of her head as she spoke timidly, "Yang, Weiss is right. None of what happened is your fault; the only one to blame is Adam. All you can do, or we can do is wait and be supportive." 

I growled as I clenched the armrests tighter, cracking them slowly.  

Weiss sighs, her tone turning soft but stern as she said, "if you aren't going to listen to us, imagine what Blake would say if she were in our place, she would tell you that you need to get over yourself and to be strong."

I sighed as I slumped down into the chair, feeling defeated as I grumbled out sadly, "it should have been me."

Ruby hugs me around my shoulders. "She will be okay, Yang. I know this because you will help her, just as you have always been there for me, being my sister and a mother." 

I hugged my sister back as I held back tears. Weiss simply pats my shoulder, not really being a hugger herself.

Weiss instead took on the role of being the mom friend and said sternly, "get some rest. It's past midnight, and Blake is going nowhere." 

Ruby pulled away with her optimistic smile, speaking enthusiastically, "we all should rest, the doctors will wake us up if anything changes with Blake."

I numbly nodded as I leaned back in the chair and rested my head on top of Ruby's when her little sister relaxed her head on my shoulder. Even Weiss, who wasn't a touchy-feely person, to begin with, rested against me on my other side.