33. New Age Shop

She walked along the street as though she was on a catwalk, apparently oblivious to the admiring looks of the men. Then she saw the sign she was looking for.

 It was a little shop in a run-down part of the city, in a row of retail businesses that had all seen better days. The dusty window display included tarot decks and hanging crystals. The dark blue velvet on which the cards were displayed appeared to have been simply tossed down, with silver colored glitter sprinkled on it in an effort to be artistic and a crystal ball had been placed in the middle. Little angel statues peeked out from the folds of the velvet.

"Fortune telling. Messages from the other side," the plaque above the crystal ball announced. It was decorated with the signs of the zodiac.

Her expression showed the same pleasure as a cat viewing a cornered mouse. She opened the door and stepped in. 

The little shop sold anything new-agey. A violet pearl curtain hid the back room.

She smiled. Perfect.

"Can I help you, my dear?" an elderly lady came out from the back room. She wore heavy golden earrings; the bright colored scarf that covered her hair was tied into a knotty bundle at the nape of her neck. Her makeup was too dark - she was trying too hard to give the appearance of a gypsy fortuneteller.

"I do believe that you can," said her visitor. Her seductively beautiful voice rang like silver bells, and she smiled down at the shopkeeper with half-closed eyes. "It is - about messages from the dead. I need your help for someone who has lost her dear friend tragically in a car accident. I would like her to be convinced that life continues after death, so that she can let go of her grief."

Her smile vanished and a suitably sad expression replaced it.

The lady tilted her head sideways and sighed.

"If only people would be as understanding about these matters as you are, dear. You are a real angel to care so much for your friend."

Her visitor smiled, and the shopkeeper thought her eyes were playing tricks for a second, because the young woman seemed to appear amused at what she had heard. But when she looked again, those same, beautifully light brown... almost golden... eyes were full of sadness and concern again.

"Now, tell me what can I do to help?" asked the shopkeeper.

"To begin with, maybe you could give me your card, so that I can pass it to my friend."

"But of course!" the lady hurried behind the counter and picked up a visiting card, which she handed to the lovely young woman. "Now, might I offer you some spiritual help as well? I'm known for my messages from angels. Maybe you could get some advice from them regarding your grieving friend?"

This time the girl laughed, clearly amused. The shopkeeper smiled politely. Then the young woman coughed and said:

"Sure, why not. I've always believed in the existence of angels."

Slightly baffled by her reaction the lady gestured to the room behind the bead curtain.

"This way, dear."

xxxx

If you like the book, you can find it published on Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, Smashwords and Payhip:

Link to Amazon: http://amzn.to/1T5GgnE - you can also click on the "external link" below.

If you prefer the printed version of the book, you find it here:

https://www.createspace.com/6308329