34. Hunters and Guardians 3/4

"What does it look like in the dream world? Lilith was there to meet me when I had my lucid dream."

"What do dreams look like?" Grandma started walking slowly on the treadmill. "It's a quickly moving environment. Flashes of happenings, sleeping consciousnesses popping to the surface and disappearing again when people wake up. If someone has a very bright consciousness, we follow it to its source, see who it is, and make plans as to whether we should approach them or not."

"Can the Immortals and vampires and shadows reach that place? And the Nephilim?"

"Yes. Shadows do. That is how nightmares come about. Running away from some horror that almost catches you is probably the most common sign you have met a shadow in your sleep. Nephilim hardly ever come to the dream zone, though. It seems they have difficulties in moving in the dream world for some reason - also it seems the dark Nephilim don't experience dreams, because you never find their dreams there. Shadows, on the other hand, move freely in the dream world and may find their victims by observing their dreams, to see who are more vulnerable to their attacks. They don't want to attack strong people either, but prefer those that are easier to catch. The things we dream about speak volumes to them." Grandma started jogging, but did not seem out of breath.

"So they follow the sleepers to see who they are?" I wanted clarification.

"Indeed they do. And not only to find prey for themselves. If they find out we have an interest in someone, they try to stop us from reaching those people, and we sometimes have to send guardians to be around our chosen ones, until they make their way here. You had one too, just in case. You did not see him often, though. Only during the last few days was he visible to you." Grandma increased speed.

"Daniel."

It wasn't really a question, but an observation.

"Yes, Daniel. He is one of our best Guardians. He guarded you for months, when you started showing up in the dreamscape. Your light was extraordinary. Knowing who you were, we did not wonder... There was only one occasion, when his attention was taken by other events, and you were almost killed," Grandma frowned at the thought.

I froze and looked at her.

Yes. We think the drunk driver was trying to get to you. Kitty got into her way, and you were saved."

"Why did they want to kill me?"

"Now that is something we don't understand. We thought they would rather want you alive..." Grandma muttered so I could barely hear her words over the thumping sounds of her jogging.

"Why? What use would I be to them? Would someone please explain?"

I suddenly felt a surprising rage rising up my spine. A strong, tingling sensation that spread to my shoulder blades and made my scalp almost itch with energy. It felt the same as sitting on your legs for too long so that they fall asleep. I tried to control the emotion, but it just wouldn't go away. I wondered what was wrong with me these days - usually I could control myself easily, but now I was meeting with strong emotions inside me every day. It had to be all this unbelievable reality I was exposed to.

Grandma had one look at my face and stopped the treadmill and stepped down.

"We will explain this all to you, Dana, but not just yet. Trust me, this is for the best now. But you will hear everything in time." She placed her hand over mine, then felt my forehead. "Goodness, you're burning. Are you sure you don't have a fever? Maybe a little hot," she concluded. "Could be all the excitement." She sounded almost uninterested, but I noticed how she carefully avoided looking me in the eye.

If they thought I did not notice she was hiding something, she was wrong.

xxx

If you like the book, you can find it published on Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, Smashwords and Payhip:

Link to Amazon: http://amzn.to/1T5GgnE - you can also click on the "external link" below.

If you prefer the printed version of the book, you find it here:

https://www.createspace.com/6308329