Chapter 2

* Alesia’s POV *

Things between Lenny and I have been growing apart. Well to me, that’s how I feel ever since the car accident. All of his spare time was spent with her, making her feel important. Even if it was my time, it would cut short whenever she calls him because she’s lonely. In a heartbeat, he would throw away our fun time just so he could make her happy.

Frustrating, I know. It feels like in this relationship, I’m becoming the third wheel. Always the one who needs to understand the situation, but seriously, I don’t. Just because they were involved in some car accident, it didn’t mean that he had to serve her his whole life.

Though, a part of me felt like I did understand him a bit whenever I remember the effects that happened to Serenity. Losing her eyesight was the biggest thing that changed her life. If it were me, I’d probably be the same, always trying to think of ending my life, thinking I’d be of no use to other people.

She was still young, only about to start fresh on a career she had dreamed of all her life. She wanted to be an artist. Painting and photography were the two of the things she enjoyed the most. But with her eyesight gone, that would hinder her from continuing with her dreams. And I feel for her.

I’m not that bad of a person. I do understand how Lenny feels guilty from all of it, but honestly, I also don’t like how the effects of that car accident were treating my baby. The guilt was eating him alive, just like how John felt when he wasn’t able to save Bailey.

The only difference was that Lenny had a chance to make it up to her, unlike John who had nothing to make him feel better. We all know that being here for him wasn’t the same as Bailey being here. It didn’t matter if the whole community had his back, when he only wanted Bailey’s touch.

And that’s one of the things why I hated this guilt that Lenny felt, only because I didn’t want him to feel obligated all the time, which would cause him a lot in his life. I didn’t want him end like John.

It was already past midnight when I checked the time on the nightstand and Lenny wasn’t still home. Perhaps, he was making sure that Serenity was asleep before he leaves their house. I actually don’t get the whole thing. It’s not like Serenity is living alone. After the incident, she moved back in with her parents, just so they could look after her more often.

Clearly, they didn’t need Lenny all the time.

But I guess, Serenity loved the idea of having another person around. Of having someone that’s not part of her family, just feeling that someone else cared for her. For someone who lost everything, all she would ever need was that love coming from a person she wasn’t related to. But of course, in my mind, I was hoping that it wouldn’t grow out to be in a deeper state, which could end my relationship with Lenny.

I don’t think I’ll be able to handle that. I know I can’t handle that.

Thinking about the numerous possibilities of Lenny leaving me for Serenity clouded up my mind that I didn’t even realized that Lenny had been calling my name. What greeted me was his curious face scanning me all over, wondering what was wrong.

Startled, I was left staring straight into his eyes as he was trying to figure out what was happening to me. He hugged me, soothing my back like he used to, whispering sweet nothings. As always, it helped me ease up and forget about the recent topics I had on mind.

All that was important was Lenny being here tonight. He came home to me, or should I say his parents’ home. Ever since that accident and that incident John had involving Bailey, we mostly spent our nights here with them, thinking we’d be safer living with the rest of the family.