Chapter 2: Problems Arise

ALYA'S POV

Great. This is just great.

Miles walks up to me.

"Hey." He says awkwardly.

"Hi." I say back, just as awkwardly.

"So... Um, do you wanna work outside?" He asks.

"Sure." I reply.

We walk out of the room together and go sit outside in the grass.

"So, um. I guess we have to write about what we feel for each other. I uh, I didn't mean it like that, but you get the point." He says.

"Yeah. I guess we should just say what we think about each other, and work from there." I say.

He nods.

"Okay, I'll go first. I think you're a stuck up horrible brat, and I think I meant what I said when I was talking to Julie. You just don't belong here at all. You make me super upset and I just really don't like you." He says, looking me straight in the eyes."

I can't believe him. Tears sting my eyes, but I know I have to stay strong.

"You know what? I think you're ridiculous and incredibly rude, and I think I'm going to go ask Mr. Park for a partner change." I snap and walk away rudely.

"Alya wait!" He yells.

I turn around.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I just had these emotions bottled up for so long, and I guess they just came out." He says.

"So that's what you've been thinking of me this whole time, and they just finally got out because you were so sick of me?" I ask, very upset.

He looks hurt. "No! That's not what I meant. I've been having lots of family issues at home, and about a week after you broke up with me, my parents decided to get a divorce, so it was just like a smack in the face. I'm sorry I said that. It just triggered the memory of my mom telling me that her and my dad were splitting up, and I just got really upset all of sudden." He says.

I don't say anything back. I just look at him.

"Alya, please don't go. I think you're crazy talented and I really want to work with you on this project." He pleads.

"Fine. Can we just promise to let things that happened in the past go? I really do miss our friendship. I don't want things to be awkward between us." I reply.

"Definitely." He responds with a smile.

Maybe this isn't going to be so bad

TIME SKIP TO LUNCH

I have no idea where to sit. I used to always sit by Miles, but of course now he's sitting with Julie and I don't want things to be awkward.

I decide to go sit with Bianca and Jax. Even though Bianca and I got off on the wrong foot, things seem to be good between us now.

"Hey guys." I say as I sit across from them.

"Hey Alya! Why aren't you sitting with Mi- oh right." Bianca says, letting her face drop when she remembered that we broke up.

"It's fine." I lie, smiling.

"Well feel free to sit with us." Jax says.

"Thanks guys." I reply.

Lunch goes on with no problems, and it was actually pretty nice. I mean, of course it's nothing like eating lunch with Miles, but what can I do at this point?

MILES' POV

Could this day get any worse?

I've had to spend the whole day trying to force myself to like Julie, while really only thinking about Alya. I really screwed things up.

I don't even know why I even thought about almost kissing Julie that one time. I was just confused. I didn't know what I wanted. But now I do, and it's sitting at the table across the room.

I hope I made things better by asking her to be friends again, but how can I just be friends with someone I'm in love with?

ALYA'S POV

Finally, the end of the school day is here.

I walk through the hallways on the way to the doors, but right before I can leave that scumbag Austin starts talking to me.

"Hey Alya." He says.

"What do you want?" I snap.

"Hey hey hey. Calm down. I just want to know if you'll go out with me." He says.

Most people including myself would have usually said no to him. I say usually because this could be the perfect opportunity to finally get over Miles. It's obvious I have no chance with him.

"You know what? Sure." I reply.

He looks genuinely surprised.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yeah. Sure." I say.

He smiles and goes in for the hug.

I resist the urge to gag as I hug him back.

This is not going to go well.

A/N

Hey guys! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter! I had a fun time writing it. Please leave comments and vote if you like this story. It really motivates me to update. Thank you so much, and I hope you all have a wonderful day! :)