S O L 9 8 - M A R S

MARK MADE HIMSELF comfortable inside the cabin of the small rover. He sat down in front of the monitor, punching in the necessary codes before pulling his gloves from his hands. Only moments had passed before the screen lit up in front of him, though to Mark it felt like much longer. A wave of relief washed over him as he watched the words appear on the screen in front of him, and he sucked in a breath, trying desperately to hold back the happy tears.

JPL: Mark, this is Vincent Kapoor. We've been watching you since Sol 54. The whole world is rooting for you. Amazing job, getting Pathfinder. We're working on rescue plans. Meantime, we're putting together a supply mission to keep you fed until Ares 4 arrives.

He couldn't hold back anymore. Mark allowed a few tears to slip from his eyes, though he wiped them away just as quickly as they appeared. It had been so long since he had had contact with anyone, at least contact such as this. He had been alone since SOL 18, and although he was still technically alone, Mark found some comfort and some company just communicating with someone, whether it be NASA or even an alien. He would, however, feel much better when he was able to speak to the crew and his sister once again.

After several seconds, Mark was removed from his thoughts. He focused his attention on the small screen in front of him and began typing, continuing the conversation Vincent Kapoor had started with him.

WATNEY: Glad to hear it. Really looking forward to not dying. Side question: How's the crew? How's Maia? What did they say when they found out I was alive?

JPL: We haven't told the crew you're alive yet. We need them to concentrate on their mission.

Mark sat back in his seat, unable to comprehend what he had just read. Unlike Maia, he had never shared a distaste towards NASA, but now he did. He couldn't believe the crew hadn't yet been told he was alive, let alone his own sister. He knew how much he meant to Maia, just as she knew how much she meant to him, and to know that she still believed him to be dead made him feel sick. He couldn't begin to imagine the pain she had been suffering through during the last couple of months, nor did he think he would be able to handle that pain. All he knew was that he was pissed she was being forced to endure it on a prolonged status because of NASA's decision not to tell them.

WATNEY: What the fuck is wrong with you? They don't know I'm alive? My own fucking sister doesn't know I'm alive?

JPL: Mark, please watch your language. Everything you type is being broadcast all over the world.

WATNEY: Look! Boobs —> (.Y.)

Mark shook his head at the stupidity that was NASA and retrieved his helmet, pulling it onto his head before putting on his gloves. He powered down the rover and stepped out and onto the dark, Martian surface, his patience gone and his anger at an all-time high.