Chapter 2 - Ocean Eyes

PHOEBE

I let out a sigh as I make my way to the restaurant. I wonder how many idiots I will have to train today. I gave my complaints to the administration. Most of the students that get hired do a mediocre job and only apply to get free food. I don't want even to get started on them giving freebies to their friends.

I open the back door and greet the cooks who are doing the prep work for today. This place never stops as the university gives summer courses and the professors making research never seem to take a break.

"Good morning Phoebe," says Bas, my boss and master's degree student. "Did you have a good break?"

"It was too short," I chuckle.

"Well, you got a nice tan there at least. All I got was rain during our vacation. My wife is still pissed at me as I was the one that picked the destination,"

"Why don't you take her out to a nice restaurant, bring flowers and a lovely gift to make up for it?"

"I would love to, but we are busy with the baby. She is teething and our nights are short," I notice the dark marks around his eyes.

"I can babysit. I've done it a million times in my life,"

"Really? You can do that?"

"Check with your wife and I will be glad to help,"

"You are great! She will be so happy to have a night just for us. It has been a while. I have good news for you. We are keeping the good workers from last year, and they only hired one waiter. He arrived early and is sitting in the dining area. He seems decent,"

"What is his name?"

"Andres Reyes, a freshman,"

I nod and head to the dining area. As the assistant manager, it is my duty to train the new service staff and help where needed. I find a guy reading an old-fashioned newspaper. That is odd, most people around here just play with their phones.

"Hello," I try to be friendly.

"Hi! Good morning. I'm Andrew. You must be Phoebe," he stands up and offers me a hand to shake. At least he has good manners.

"I am. Welcome to the jungle of the college restaurant. I will be your expedition guide,"

He is kind of cute and has a sweet face; that, unfortunately, is marked by acne. He smiles and has braces. Growing up I had to wear those, and boy, that was uncomfortable.

"How long until those come off?" I motion to his mouth.

"Another six months at least," he grimaces. "That is if I don't knock off the brackets. I seem to be good at that,"

"Hope at the end of the tunnel. Well, let's get started. Wait, wasn't your name Andres?"

"It is, but only my parents call me that. For everybody else I'm Andrew,"

"Okay, Andrew it is,"

I explain the layout of the cafeteria, our services, and the menu. Andrew is a quick learner and gives me the impression of being a brilliant guy.

"Did you pick a major already?" I ask as we prepare salad bowls.

"Yeah, I will be in vet sciences. What are you studying?"

"Business. I'm starting my third year. So you like working with animals,"

"I do. My aunts own a farm, and there is no other place in the world where I feel as comfortable as I do there. I spent all summers of my life with them, milking cows and gathering eggs,"

That is nice. He enjoys the simple pleasures.

"Do you have a girlfriend? A wife?"

"No, I've never had a girlfriend. Where I come from, girls were not interested in guys like me. I'm not a jock, just a nerd," he looks sad.

"Did any of the jocks make it to a university like this?"

"No," he gives me a small smile.

"Don't worry Andrew. College turns caterpillars into interesting butterflies. We all go through that,"

"Thanks, Phoebe," he continues to work. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Had," I don't give Andrew any more details. He doesn't ask either, and I feel grateful.

People arrive for lunch. I assign a section to Andrew, and he grabs a pad and a pen. He takes orders, and from time to time comes with questions. I wish that all newbies were like him. Our shift is over, and he registers his time.

"Are you going to class?" I ask him.

"Later, I will stop by the dorm and have something to eat first,"

"You can eat here. It is one perk,"

"I don't want to abuse the privilege," he says.

This guy is too decent to be true.

"I insist. You have worked hard today and deserve a good meal. What would you like?"

"I'm not picky. I eat everything,"

I speak with one cook and soon I have two bowls of pasta and meatballs. We sit at a corner table, and Andrew eats his big portion within minutes.

"Were you so hungry?" I ask while looking at my plate. I'm not even halfway.

"Mom says I'm still growing. I can eat the whole day long. I don't know if it is true. I'm afraid that I will run out of luck and one day my clothes won't fit anymore," he laughs.

His eyes have a very unusual color. Not entirely blue or green. The colors blend or form patterns. There is actual movement in his irises. Like waves in the sea.

"Eh... Phoebe... what are you doing?"

I snap out of my trance and realize that I have invaded his personal space. I'm so close I can almost kiss him. Have I lost my mind? People don't have bodies of water in their eyes.

"I'm sorry," I sit back and look at my lap. "You have very unusual eyes,"

"So I've heard. Nobody in my family has this eye color. A gypsy predicted to my mom that my eyes would be blue-green,"

"A gypsy?"

"Yeah, and the weird part is she predicted it when my mom was not even pregnant yet,"

"Fascinating..." I still feel weirded out about what I did.

"I will see you tomorrow. I don't want to be late for class. Thanks for your help today and for spending time with me,"

Andrew leaves the dining room after bringing both our plates to the dishwashers. I stare at his back. What is wrong with me? He is not even my type!