Chapter 3 - Exam Week

ANDREW

I pass the tip of my tongue over my teeth. It's been a year and a half since the braces came off and I still can't believe how straight they are.

My face looks somehow different. I have had a metallic smile for so long that at times, I have difficulty recognizing myself in a mirror. Still, I don't have luck in love.

I have asked a few girls to go on a date with me, and they all have declined. Phoebe once said that college turns caterpillars into butterflies. I guess that I'm destined to stay an insect forever. Contrary to popular belief, caterpillars are not worms. Maybe I should stop sharing those kinds of facts with people. That might make me more attractive and less odd.

I love my studies. They are intense and the hours are brutal, but I'm learning so much. I want to specialize in farm animals. I like living on campus in the middle of the city, but I miss the countryside.

I head towards the restaurant for my shift. Working there is fun, and I get to spend some time with Phoebe. She has become my best friend and support since I started my studies. She keeps me sane and reminds me to enjoy life from time to time instead of only studying.

I enter the kitchen and exchange greetings with the cooks. They people are the anonymous heroes of this place. They feed the masses that come to the restaurant while keeping the harmony in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Miss Phoebe!" I say as I enter the dining area.

"Hey Andrew," Phoebe says. Her tone is neutral, and there is none of her morning enthusiasm.

We keep preparing the place settings in silence. Something is bothering Phoebe. I don't like to meddle in people's lives. If she is upset, she will tell me about it at the right moment.

Four students enter the restaurant. Among them, there is a beautiful looking girl. Quite young and way out of my league.

"Hi, everybody! How are you doing today?" I say to them with my usual greeting.

"It's almost the end of the exam week. I feel fucking wired!" one of the guys slams an empty can of a caffeinated drink on the table. "Another of these! No! Make it two!"

"Could you please give me the biggest cup you can find of your strongest coffee and a tuna sandwich? I have been editing in the Communication Lab all night, and I'm not done yet," his companion says. His eyes are red-rimmed, and he looks pale.

"Monte Cristo and a bottle of cola for me," the third guy says and yawns widely.

"What can I get you?" I say to the girl. She taps a long and pointy red nail on the table while she stares at me.

"Egg guy," she says. I feel confused at her words while her companions burst in laughter. "You are a bunch of assholes," she says while looking at her friends with a scowl. "I know you from the market. You sell eggs with those three odd-looking women,"

"Oh yeah, I work at the summer market with my aunts. They are indeed a bit stuck in the eighties. Do you also go here?"

"After the summer. I'm graduating from high school next week," she says. "Get me whatever you think is tasty from here and an iced tea,"

"Okay, I will get you a turkey sub, and I will see you around next semester. Let me know if you need anything else. My name is Andrew,"

"Veronica. See you around," she says.

I go to the system to place their order and then bring the drinks. Veronica's eyes are glued to me the whole time. I feel embarrassed and flattered at the same time.

"You have a fan," Phoebe says while stacking some cups. "Do you know her?"

"No. I've never seen her before, but she knows that I sell eggs,"

"A stalker then," Phoebe says with a smile.

"Itis good to see you smile. A moment ago, I was worried that you might be pissed with me,"

"Not at all. I'm only upset with myself,"

Our conversation is interrupted by the kitchen bell. I pick the sandwich order and bring it to Veronica and her friends.

"Wait Andrew!" Veronica says, holding my arm. "Can you get me another drink?"

"Sure," I say and walk back to the counter.

I look at my arm where Veronica held me and see a small scratch. One of her nails must have left that. It stings. I bring her drink and move away quickly before she can touch me again.

"Andrew, I got accepted to the Master's program in hospital administration," Phoebe says while letting out a sigh.

"Congratulations!" I say, giving her a hard hug. "Well, no surprise there. You are a brilliant student,"

I look at her, and she is not excited. She is... sad.

"Don't you want that?" I ask.

"I do, but I got used to the familiarity of all of this and you," she says, gazing around the restaurant but avoiding looking at me.

"I guess that you will be busy with your internship, but you can come and have lunch here from time to time. Or we can see each other when we are both free and watch a movie or catch up over dinner,"

"I'm moving to the other side of the country," is all she says and put on a smile as she goes to service some professors at the coffee counter.

I'm glued to my place. A guy tries to catch my attention, and I motion with my finger that I will be with him in a minute. Phoebe became such a constant feature in my college life that I never thought that there was a chance that we will not see each other anymore. She is an intelligent woman, and any college will be proud to have her as their student. She deserves the best, and if that means moving away than I can only wish her well.

I head to the guy who wants to pay his bill, and go back to the register. Phoebe still looks sad.

"You deserve this opportunity," I say. "I will miss you, but I'm sure that we will cross paths again. I will never forget you,"

Phoebe looks at me and inhales deeply, but her face crumples and she leaves the room in a hurry.