Chapter 6 - Eggs and Clubs

I'm enjoying my time at my aunts much more than I thought. It is hard work, but it gives me so much satisfaction. Within two days I found the problem that is affecting the animals. The water well was polluted, and the animals that drank from it became sick. Luckily it is a different one from the one that used for the chickens and the crops. That would have caused a major problem in the farm's finances.

I have been treating the animals that got ill and for the rest, we have been scrubbing and disinfecting the whole place. Everything that had been in contact with the polluted water needs cleaning. We drained the well, and a team is fixing the cracks in the structure. I have also been helping with some repairs in the barn. Today is an unusually warm day, making it impossible to spend more time outdoors.

"Oh dear, look at you all drenched in sweat!" Aunt Fay says as I enter the kitchen. There is something in the oven that smells sweet and is making my mouth water.

"What are you making?" I say peeking at the oven.

"Pies," she says, pointing at the boxes piled on the table. "Tomorrow is the county fair, and we will be selling them. Your aunts are there already helping with the preparations,"

"I'm sure that you will run out quickly. If you have something left, do you think that you can save some for me?"

"Darling Andrew, why do you have to wait?" she says, taking a cloth off a plate and unveiling a piece of apple pie.

I grab her in a hug while she laughs, and sit at the table. She hands me a fork and serves me a glass of milk. In two seconds, I have Coffee on the table, sniffling at my milk.

"I don't mind sharing, but brown cat hair in my drink is not a good plan," I say to the kitten. I get a saucer and serve Coffee some milk.

"We are going to be away for the whole day tomorrow and will be back on Sunday. The guys will take care of the animal feeding, and the crops get watered automatically. You can come with us if you want," Aunt Fay says while taking the pies out of the oven.

"I'm planning to see my parents. It's been a while and Mom is probably desperate to see me,"

"Absolutely! Can you do me a favor? I have a load of eggs ready for delivery. I need to finish the pies, and I'm afraid that the store will be closed,"

"Sure, I can bring them," I say with a shrug.

After a shower, I load the backseat of the car with the eggs and head to the village. I greet the supermarket owner and start unloading the egg crates. I head to one of the aisles and start placing the cartons on the shelves carefully.

"Dr. Reyes?"

I almost drop a carton of eggs as I hear the voice. I turn around to see Veronica.

"Veronica, what are you doing here?" I say surprised.

"I live here. Dad owns this store,"

"I never knew that fact. I come here every summer, and I never saw you around,"

"I did see you at the market, but you were too busy helping customers,"

"Are you helping your dad then?"

"Partially. Dad wants to sell this place. I'm helping him to find a buyer. Once the whole thing is done, I will return to the city. I'm not made for the country life," she says, gazing around the store.

"What is so wrong about life here?"

"Is not bad. It's just dull. I love going out to clubs and restaurants. There are only a handful of restaurants around here and no clubs,"

"Aren't clubs like sweaty, busy and noisy places?" I say, remembering Phoebe's description of a club.

Phoebe... I wonder where she is and how she is doing. Our contact diminished through time until it stopped eventually.

"Goodness! I don't know which clubs you have been to, but they are nothing like that," Veronica says laughing.

"I've never been to one," I say, feeling embarrassed.

"You got to be kidding me! What are you doing tomorrow?"

"I don't have plans, and my aunts are away until Sunday,"

"Well, I will take you to your first club visit. You will lose your clubbing virginity,"

I stiffen at her words, but luckily she doesn't notice. I haven't lost the other virginity either.

"Okay, then I will pick you here tomorrow at seven,"

"It's a date then," she says, giving me a wink and leaving.

I finish the egg display and head back to my car after handing the invoice to Veronica's father. I then drive to my parent's house in the next town. Since I left home, my mother took gardening as a hobby. Every time I come around there seems to be even more flowers. I ring the bell, and my mom starts laughing when she sees me.

"Andrés! My handsome boy! It's so good to see you," she says, cupping my face.

I hand her a small bag of sweets that I picked at the supermarket, and we head to the backyard.

"Will you join us for dinner?" she says.

"Of course. How can I deny myself the pleasure of your food?"

We catch up on what is happening at the farm and Dad arrives from work. I receive a bone breaking hug from him.

"Are you coming to the county fair? Your mom will be showing her roses. Hopefully, she will win some prizes,"

"Not this time. There is plenty of chores at the farm, and I have some plans already in the evening,"

"Really? Where are you going?" Mom asks.

"I have a date. We are going to a club in the city,"

"That doesn't sound like a good idea," Mom says.

"Dear, he is an adult now," Dad says to her, probably cursing the day when Great Grandma Reyes put stupid worries in their minds.

"Mamá, Papá, I know about what Great Grandma Reyes said. You have nothing to worry. No woman can ever break my heart because I have never been in love. In fact, I have never had a date in my life. Women seemed repelled by me. Veronica is the first woman that asks me out,"

Mom and Dad look at each other with worry and then at me with pity.

"Nonsense. All nonsense," Dad says. "You are an educated man and any woman would be lucky to date you,"

"And you are so handsome Andrés," Mom says.

"You have to say that because you are my mom,"

"Great Grandma Reyes enjoyed messing up with people's lives and nobody liked her. Even my great grandfather only tolerated her. The gossip says that she sent him early to the grave. He should consider himself lucky,"

"Esteban!" Mom says and has trouble stopping a giggle.

"Have a great date and enjoy your life," Dad says, patting my shoulder.

And I think I will.