Grandma?

“Do you want anything to eat?” I nervously asked Ashley’s grandparents as they entered the house. Their dog loyally trotted behind them as they expertly made their way through the hallway and towards the living room, placing their bags on the couch.

“Where is Ashley?” Daisy asked, completely ignoring me. She critically took in the living room while Trent stood beside her.

"He’s doing an interview. He should be home any minute.” I stuttered. Even though we barely had a conversation, she was really intimidating me. I wanted to hide in a hole and never resurface again.

Daisy nodded and sat stiffly on the couch. Trent sat beside her and began to gingerly pat their dog on the head. I stood there for a second, wondering if she needed anything else, before turning on my heel and hurriedly walking toward the guest bedroom. I made sure the door was locked before grabbing my phone and dialing Ashley’s number. 

“I know, I know, I’m late but the interview went longer than I thought.” Ashley blurted the moment he answered.

“Ashley! Your grandparents are here!” I whispered, apprehensively looking behind me as if Daisy would pop out. 

“What?”

“They showed up! What do I do? Where are you? Your grandmother hates me!”

“I doubt she hates-”

“Lexi? What are you doing in there? Why is the door locked?” The bedroom door knob twisted relentlessly.

“Got to go. Get here soon!” I hissed before ending the call. “Coming Daisy!” I shouted before opening the bedroom door.

She gave me a reprimanding look, “It’s Mrs. Purdy.”

Yep. She hates me.

“Babe, I’m home!” Ashley shouted as I heard the front door open. “Grandma? Pops?”

Daisy – correction Mrs. Purdy – grinned brightly as she stood up from her position on the couch and met Ashley half way as he walked into the living room. He smiled brightly and hugged her before greeting Trent, who has yet to say anything directly to me. Ashley greeted me last, hugging me tightly and kissing me on the lips.

“Sorry babe,” He whispered before stepping back and turning towards his grandparents. “I had no idea you two were coming.”

“It was short notice, we wanted to surprise you,” Mrs. Purdy said with a bright smile but then it dimmed as her eyes flickered towards me. “Although it seems you already have company.”

“Lexi will be here for the rest of the week and she’s staying in the guest bedroom,” Ashley quickly explained. “I can call the hotel and get you a room.”

 “Nonsense!” Mrs. Purdy waved him off before her eyes locked on me, a grin locked on her face. “You two can share a bed, I’m not that old fashioned.”

What . . .

 Ashley was shaking his head, “Grandma, Lexi and I-”

“Good! Then it’s official! Here, Lexi, I’ll help you pack!” Mrs. Purdy gushed before turning and waddling into the hallway.

As I walked backwards, I mouthed, “Doesn’t hate me?” Towards Ashley. He winced and rubbed the back of his head as I turned into my bedroom. There was a tense silence as Mrs. Purdy sat on the bed and watched me pack my clothes – which were still left untouched in my duffel bag – and made sure I found my way to Ashley’s bedroom.

This was going to be a long night.

Sorry guys if it’s short! Just thought I’d put something out there xD Thank you for all of the comments and votes! It really does make me smile!