Z E R O

MARLENE KINNZEL WAS AT A local cafe having lunch with her husband, Theo, when she got a call. It was her boss, asking her to come in early for a patient. She was a psychiatrist for the local hospital and prison, it depended on who called her in really.

"Sorry, Theo. I gotta run. A patient at work is throwing a row and won't do anything till I get there." She explained as she got up and kissed his cheek. "I'll be back by ten."

As she got to her office, the patient, who she now recognised as Jack Robins, was tapping his fingers on her desk. Pulling her chair back, she sat down and leaned forwards. Refusing to start the conversation, Jack then leaned forwards aswell. Marlene sighed.

"What happened Jack? You were having great progress last week. Why the sudden aggression?"

Jack licked his rough, chapped lips and fell back on his chair. "They took away my playing cards, so I took their life."

Marlene started to take notes in her notebook, but stopped when she felt something dripping from her nose. At first she thought it was just a runny nose, so she got some tissue and wiped it. Once she saw the tissue, she then proceeded to touch her top lip with her fingers. The psychiatrist retracted her hand and spotted blood all over her fingers.

"What's wrong, Doc? You look a little pale." Jack joked, smiling widely. Marlene shook her head and continued to ask questions to her patient.

"It's probably nothing. See? It's stopped now." She brushed off. "So...Have you had any recent urges? Any needs to kill? Animals? People? Yourself?"

Jack just laughed. "What do you think?"

"I think that this is some reaction to a past event. Maybe a cheating lover? A death of a family member that you were close to?" The woman replied as she started to sway without realising.

"No, no. I think it was my will to make people smile and laugh. Do you want to know how I got these scars? It's a funny story really." He questioned, clasping his hands together infront of him.

"I don't see how that has any relevance to the topic, Jack. Can we- can we continue..." Marlene started to say, but stopped when she was hit with a sudden weakness in her body. Causing her to fall off her chair and collapse onto the floor, where she blacked out.

When she woke up, she was surrounded by white. Obviously in a hospital room. Marlene had seen enough of them with her job. She looked beside her and noticed Theo asleep next to her bed. He woke up when Marlene placed her hand onto of his and smiled when he saw her awake.

"Hey..." She greeted weakly, but still smiling at her husband.

"Hey." He greeted back, patting her hand with his own. "I'm so glad you're awake. What do you remember?"

Marlene looked off into the distance as she recalled her last memory. "I was with my patient, Jack. I had a nose bleed and then- then I passed out some time later."

Theo nodded and then the door opened, revealing a doctor. "How are you feeling, Marlene?" The man asked as he got closer with a clipboard.

"Better as soon as I know what's wrong with me." She answered, sitting up straighter.

"Do you want the good news? Or the bad news first?" The doctor questioned.

"The bad news." Both Marlene and Theo replied simultaneously.

"Good because there is no good news i'm afraid." He said looking at the ground.

'Well then why would you ask in the first place? What a dick.' She thought.