4.) Year 8

~~Timeskip 1 Year Later~~
Phil's POV-
Phil ran out of the school after the bell rung. He was in a hurry to talk to Dan. His mind was swarming with many thoughts, not one of them being good.

Dan's POV-
Dan had stayed home from school that day, not feeling very well. Dan was in his room watching Death Note for the 100th time in a row. He was in the middle of an episode, when he heard loud knocking on the door.

Dan got up from his bed and trudged down the stairs, and up to the door. He lazily opened the door and saw Phil standing in the doorway with sweat dripping down his face. "Why are you here? Did you need something?" Dan asked, confused as to why Phil came to his house right after school had ended.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about something that has been bugging me for a while now..." Phil replied, warily.

"Oh, okay well you can come in." Dan said, as he stepped out of the doorway for Phil to come inside.

"Thanks..." Phil muttered, with a wary face. Phil sat down on the couch in the lounge, giving Dan a look that meant he was not in a good mood.

Phil's POV-
Dan sits down beside Phil and waits for Phil to start talking. "Well, I spoke to somebody earlier today and they told me something that is very...interesting." Phil spoke, wondering how he should say it.

"And what exactly is this very interesting thing?" Dan replied, now worried if it was something that would be embarrassing or even something that is a lie, due to not even knowing who had spoke to Phil.

"Ok...so you know Anthony right? Anthony Padilla." Phil asked, just to make sure.

"Erm...yeah, why?" Dan asked although he already knew the answer.

"Oh, you'll see..." Phil said, not in the mood to explain everything at the moment.

"Ok...well go ahead and tell me what he said already." Dan replied, very eager to know this information.

"So...Anthony told me that you were only hanging out with me because you wanted to gain my trust---" Phil explained, but got interrupted during this, by the one and only 'Dan Howell.'

"I see where this is going...and no. Why would I do that to you, you're my best friend! Do you really believe I would do something like that Phil?" Dan interrupted, wanting to know why he would believe something like that.

"Oh, I don't know...maybe because you haven't even talked to me and only  to PJ for the past three weeks!" Phil replied, starting to get even more frustrated than he was before.

Dan's POV-
"And have you ever asked why I wasn't?" Dan asked, not happy that he never asked why or try to find out, instead of just assuming things.

"No I haven't...but would you like to tell me your big excuse now?" Phil replied, his voice now almost screaming at him.

"Well...I was going to wait, but I guess you don't even want it now." Dan said, with tears brimming in his eyes. Dan ran up to his room, pulling out a large poster from under his bed. The poster had many blues, greens, and blacks in a paint splatter type pattern.

Dan then went back down the stairs and showed Phil the poster he and PJ had been working on for Phil's birthday. "This." Dan said motioning towards the poster. "Was supposed to be your birthday present from PJ and I. This. Is what we've been doing for the past three weeks. This. Is why I've only been hanging out with PJ." Dan said, now tears streaming down his face in a mixture of anger and sadness.

"Dan...I-I I thought you..." Phil said, crying as well; but now only tears of sadness. "I'm...so sorry I t-t-thought" Phil added, now a sobbing and stuttering mess.

Dan, now not knowing what to say walked up to Phil and gave him a big hug. "Phil, it's okay. I know you didn't know. Shhhhhh~" Dan muttered into Phil's hair, with just a single tear falling down his cheek, as he was mostly calmed down.

"Dan, I feel so bad...you didn't have to do all of that just for me." Phil spoke into Dan's chest, he breathed in Dan's calming scent and had finally stopped sobbing.

"Phil, I did it because I care about you and love that you're my best friend after all we've been through together." Dan replied, as he let go of Phil and looked him in the eyes.

Phil then brought Dan back into another hug because he had no idea what to say now. Dan hugged back and rubbed Phil's back, as Phil was on the verge of crying. Phil took in one last breath of Dan's scent and let go of him.

"Well, Phil? Do you think you could stay here tonight, since we haven't hung out in a while?" Dan asked, wanting to hang out with Phil now that he and PJ had finally finished Phil's present.

Phil's POV-
"Yes, of course I can!" Phil replied, not wanting to walk back home despite it only being a few houses down. Phil realized that all of that fighting and crying drained all of his energy. So as they watched Death Note, Phil fell asleep with his head on Dan's shoulder.