|one|

Sometimes the right path isn't the easiest.

My phone rang constantly as I laid in bed. I honestly didn't want to wake up but I knew I had to get up since it's Elena's birthday today. I removed my blanket off me and picked up my phone from my night table, seeing Caroline called me multiple times. I rolled my eyes and got up from my bed, not in the mood to call her back.

I haven't really talked to anyone this summer since Damon almost died and Stefan chose to hand over his life to Klaus to save Damon. I got into my shower, still half sleep. I really didn't want to go to Elena's birthday party, since Tyler would be there, but it's Elena's day and I'm going to focus on her. I get out the shower and pick out my dark green tank top and shorts with black flats. I knew Caroline would make me change for the party, so I laid out my back up outfit. My phone rang again and I decided to answer.

"Hello?" I said into the phone.

"Oh thank god. Your thumbs still work to answer the phone." Caroline responded, sarcastically.

"Good morning to you too, Care." I rolled my eyes as I get my purse.

"I need you to stop by the Salvatore's house." She said to me, "Elena needs help."

"And you can't help because?"

"I'm meeting up with someone." She answered and I knew exactly who she was talking about. Tyler.

"Okay, fine." I sighed, hanging up before she responded. I walked out to my blue jeep, before driving off. I knew her and Tyler kissed. That's one of the reasons I stayed away from everyone; I broke up with Tyler because of that. No one knew me and Tyler were even together, especially since we started out as 'friends with benefits'. I never wanted anyone to know, because I knew he would do some douche move and hurt me. And I never told him why I wanted to break up, only that it was over before going M.I.A for half the summer. I don't need anyone's sympathy.

I soon arrive the the Salvatore's house and walk inside without knocking. "Elena?"

"In here." She grunted, so I walked towards where she was and see her putting up balloons.

"I thought birthday girls weren't suppose to do the dirty work," I chuckled and she did the same, walking over to me and engulfing me in a hug.

"I missed you," She sighed, breaking away, "Where have you been for most of the summer?"

"I have been cuddled up in my blanket, eating ice cream, and watching The Notebook." I smiled, withholding my frown.

"That seems like someone who got out of a relationship," She raised an eyebrow.

"Or someone that is glad to spend some time to myself," I clarified, "Happy birthday, Elena."

"Thank you, Ro." She smiled as Caroline walked in, setting down a box of beers.

"Finally, I need to get a head start before the party," I clapped my hands and make my way towards the beers, though as soon as I was about to get one, Caroline slapped my hand away.

"This is for later, Ro. I need you concentrated." She informed me, so I glared at her briefly before I walked towards where the cups were, helping Elena.

"Where do you want this?" Tyler asked coming into the room, holding the keg. Damn, he got muscular.

"Over there." Caroline said, pointing to a corner of the room. He walked towards where she wanted it and put it down. I instantly turned my attention to the stuff in front of Elena and I when Tyler looked at me.