Escape?

*Rita's P.O.V.*

"Snap! Snap! Snap! Snap! Snap!!!!!"

That's all that raced through my mind. Miss Cooper had a death grip on my forearm, forcing me towards the front door.....

Towards an evil immortal........

Towards.... HIM.....

Realizing that I had to do something, I started to beg desperately, "Miss, please; I can't go out there....." "None sense! There's a fire drill going on!--" No matter how much I begged or pleaded with Miss Cooper, the foster lady kept dragging me towards the door....

O gosh, I can see Dulaque's minions now! All black clothing, all black hoodies.... and the Serpent Brotherhood mark tattooed on their necks.....

That's when I decided to play dirty.

"OW!!!! She bit me!!!!" Miss Cooper yelled, as I ran back the way we came. The Serpent Brotherhood men were on my tail as I called out, "Sorry!" Up and up and up I ran, climbing the flight of stairs as if I were being chased by a Hydra.

It happened once.

Trust me, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

When I reached the 10th floor, with no more stairs to climb, I dashed madly into a empty room. The 3 members of the Serpent Brotherhood continued running down the hall. I slid down to the floor, my back towards the door, and sighed.

I was safe.

For now.

I glanced at my clothes carefully; there was a bit of blood on the hood of my white winter jacket, my black shirt had a rip at a seam, my dark green multi pocket cargo pants appeared fine, and my boots were a bit scuffed up. But my clothes were fine, nevertheless.

Wiping the blood off of my hood, I slipped out of the room, (when the coast was clear) and crossed the hallway. The room I was in now had the words 'Storage' labelled on the door. Quietly, I began to look through the shelves for my things.

My belongings weren't hard to find. The stuff I had was a white wood bow and arrow, a quiver full of arrows, a knife that I could fasten to my belt, a wooden staff with a transparent blue gem on the top, and my camo backpack.

Once I slung the quiver over my body, (you know how archers carry it) I knelt down to my backpack and opened the top carefully. "Griff? Are you still in here?" I asked peering inside.

A eagles head popped out, cawing in reply.

I smiled. The griffin is considered a powerful and majestic creature in Mythology. With the head, wings and front legs of a eagle and the body, back legs and tail of a lion, the griffin is thought to be king of all creatures. (Since the lion is considered king of the beasts and the eagle is considered the king of the birds).

Sadly, I have a feeling that Griff maybe the last griffin alive.... or free....

Snapping back to the present danger, I whispered, "Griff, I'm gonna need you to trust me, okay?" Griff nodded in reply. Carefully, I lifted the baby griffin out of my backpack and stuffed someone's shirts inside. Tucking Griff under my shirt, (so he could hide from the world) I slung my bow over my shoulder, snapped the knifes scabbard to my belt, and grabbed the staff.

I groaned. Why did I always carry so much stuff?

I could see the Serpent Brotherhood men making their way over to the room I was hiding in, so I took action. I barreled down the hall, reaching the banister, and slid all the way down to the first floor......

"Come to papa!" A man with a bald, tattoo head declared, grabbing me before I could run away!

I guess spending a century in China and Japan, learning martial arts, was a good investment in my part.

The Serpent Brotherhood member fell to the ground, screaming and grabbing his now broken shin.

I took off running.

******Half hour later******

"Ugh, does Dulaque even know the meaning of the word 'quit'?"

I was out of options. Cornered in a alleyway, I thought of one last ditch effort to keep Griff out of Dulaque's hands.

"Little guy,
You need to fly.
Take this staff,
Don't let it go.
Fly away,
Fly to the Annex.
Fly, my tiny friend."

I sung, handing the staff to Griff. He nodded obediently and took off flying. I wiped a tear from my brown eyes and pushed my single brown braid off my shoulder, peering at the entrance of the alley.

I could just see Dulaque and his men closing in as I pulled out a arrow, praying, "Give him flight, O God. May my knife be sharp and may my arrows find their way."

I opened fired.

I hope Griff can get to Jenkins in time.