Chapter 2: Welcome to Berk

"This is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery" ~ Hiccup , (How to Train Your Dragon film.)

Hiccup sat on a large boulder overlooking the sea, waiting for the ships from Dunbroach to arrive in port. He and Astrid had flown up to the mountains above Berk with their dragons when the fog had began to form around the island’s shore. Everyone on Berk had been prepared for the fog. It was created by a  pack of Skulldrens -a species of water dragon which collected and boiled water in it’s stomach to shoot out at prey- which had began their migration farther south and were passing the island. The Skulldrens often used the steam to lure fish near the surface into large groups for hunting.

Any travellers from Dunbroach wouldn't have known this though, and were somewhere in the mists. Hiccup kept a sharp eye out, waiting to see if a search party was necessary. “They may just be late.” Astrid pointing out, sitting down next to her friend on the mossy stone. Stormfly -Astrid’s Deadly Nadder- made a noise of what seemed like agreeance. Hiccup looked up to her, smiling and trying to seem optimistic. He had only met the royals of Dunbroach once, a long time ago. Now he was 19, and he was going to need to be at the welcoming party, or as near to a welcoming party as vikings could muster. He was the future chief, and thus needed to make a good first impression.

Astrid leaned to her side, placing her head just on top of Hiccup’s own. It was something they’d done before, although didn’t mean it as anything romantic. They had tried being more than friends once, but it didn’t work out. They were just too different. Hiccup was all brains, and Astrid was more the old-fashioned  it down with an axe and then lop its head off kind of girl.

Still, Hiccup was more than a little disappointed things hadn’t work out between the two of them, but even he had to admit they worked better as friends. When some of her blond hair fell across his face Hiccup carelessly pushed it away, showing his level of concern towards the sea. Astrid pulled away, punching his shoulder lightly as she did. “Hiccup seriously, I’m all for you taking on responsibilities. The happiest I’ve seen you is when your dad gives you some super hard mission or task that needs to get done, but there’s a time and a place for that. Right now you look like your waiting for an old yak to die.” She scoffed, placing her chin into her hands.

“Astrid, my dad will kill me if I make a bad impression and I’m...Well, I’m me. Not exactly the most articulate person on Berk.” Hiccup sighed. moving his prosthetic foot as if to check for mistakes, although Astrid knew he was just trying to cover his nervousness. “If this doesn’t go well, Berk’s gonna have another enemy to worry about. A powerful enemy, their leader’s known as the Bear King for gods sake.”

“There is no ‘if’ about it,” Astrid comforted. “you’re going to be great. You’ve come along way from the runt of the litter Hiccup. You’ve trained dragons, fought Alvin the Treacherous head on, and saved Berk more times than I can count.” Astrid placed a steady hand on his shoulder. “I’m sure convincing some Scottish King that it’s better to not go up against a bunch of vikings who ride fire-breather dragons isn’t going to be that hard.”

Hiccup laughed, trying to shake off his nerves. “Feel free to become an ambassador when I become chief.”

Astrid smirked, ruffling Hiccup’s hair as if he were still just a kid. “That would give me a good reason to ride StormFly somewhere more interesting than the shores of Berk.”

Astrid rose up from atop on the rock, moving to her dragon. “You can stay up here if you want, but I’m heading back to town. Do you need anything?”

“I think I’ll be ok. Thanks though,” Hiccup sighed, waiving as his friend dipped into the fog above the treeline. “Looks like it’s just you and me now Bud.” Hiccup smiled, turning to face his dragon.

Toothless -a dark blue Night Furry- smiled as best he could towards Hiccup before wrapping himself up into a sleeping position. As Toothless laid into the grass Hiccup moved to lean on his friend.

“Looks like a moonless night,” Hiccup observed. Lanterns were being strung across the town, and a few of the old war towers which were once used for fighting dragons were being lit as lighthouses to ships at sea. “that can’t be good for the ships, can it?.” Hiccup turned as if expecting Toothless to answer, but the dragon had long since fallen asleep. Hiccup smirked, picking himself off from the ground. “Goodnight bud,” Hiccup laughed, turning to make his way down the path leading home. He grabbed the small lantern that he’d brought on a past excursion up the mountain, lighting it before making his way down the path. “What I would give for Arvendole's Fire right about now,” he sighed, looking up to sky that appeared like a blindfold. Even the light of the stars looked obscured.

“This is gonna be fun.” Hiccup sighed, sarcasm dripping from his voice. He figured he knew how this was gonna go, just like when he tried to meet the leaders of Corona. “One look a Berk and their gonna turn around, then in a few weeks I’m gonna end up getting shipped off to apologize and make amends.” This had almost become routine for him. His father was needed on Berk, which meant that Hiccup had become a sort of messenger between countries.

Hiccup hopped from boulder to boulder which scattered the path. His brown hair had lengthen and brushed across his face. Part of his hair had been tied back into two small braids, much like other young vikings of the village. The lantern swung from it’s chain, threatening to go out. Hiccup watched his step  carefully, not daring to slip. He had bulked up some in his resent years of training dragons, he’d also grown a bit in height. Compared to his younger years his balance had improved on his prothestic leg, but still left a lot to be desired.

He tried to brush the hair, moving his face to the horizon. It was then he saw the ships. Two lead the group from Dunbroach, one would hold the Royal family. “Just my luck.” Hiccup scowled, picking up his pace to a steady jog. “Of course they decide to show up as soon as Toothless is too far to reach.” Hiccup could feel his poor balance kicking in, but fought it off. He was almost back in Burk.

He ran as fast as he could down to the docks, almost knocking down Fishlegs, a friend and fellow dragon trainer. “Hiccup? What’s the rush?” his friend asked in his familiar nervous tone. It only took Fishlegs a moment to notice the ships. “Bye Hiccup.” He called out, but the distance between made his call almost inaudible.

“Hiccup, cool it!” Snotlout -Hiccup’s cousin- yelled as Hiccup avoided the two Monstrous Nightmares that blocked the path. It was Hookfang, Snotlout’s dragon, and one of Hookfang’s offspring, a smaller baby dragon with a lighter complexion that it’s father.

“Sorry!” Hiccup called over his shoulder, but turned to continue on his path. Eventually Hiccup made his way down the wooden docks, tearing down the path as best he could. “Dad!” he called out, almost out of breath.

Stoick the Vast -chief of the tribe- turned to meet his son’s gaze. “There you are Hiccup,” His father sighed, relieved. “I was afraid you weren’t going to show on time.” Stoick brought his hand to his forehead, rubbing his temples in a worried way.

“And miss the chance to meet the bear king?” Hiccup smiled, trying his best to sound reassuring. “Relax Dad, I can handle this.”

“It’s not you I’m worried about son. You’re going to be fine.” Stoick sighed. “I’m just concerned about the dragons.”

“Why? They know not to attack, and we’ve kept away any wild dragons for the past few weeks in advance of their arrival.” Hiccup and the other dragon trainers at Berk had been careful about watching the dragons since they’d heard about the Dunbroach visit.

“Listen son, do you remember the last time this family came to Berk?” Stoick asked. Hiccup shook his head, he’d been so young at the time. “Well, it didn’t exactly go according to plan.” Hiccup raised a brow and wanted to question his father further, but was cut off by his father raising a large hand to quiet him. The first ship began to come into port. “This is it Hiccup.  Get ready.” Stoick said, his voice radiating his best chiefly tone.

Hiccup felt his stomach tighten and took in a heavy breath. “This is it,” He repeated his father’s words. “here we go.” With that Hiccup made his final descend down to meet a family he barely remembered, and a girl he would be suprised to forget.