Chapter 13: One Last Dance

"Merida, This is Toothless."

The words rang through Merida's ears as she looked to the eyes of the dragon. It was of medium size and black as the night was long. It's eyes were a strange shade of green and as it's name suggested the beast's teeth were retractable and held behind it's gums as it let out what almost sounded like a laugh.

"Toothless," Merida repeated, laughing. "I suppose it's better than Hiccup at least." She sent the viking a smile and Toothless turned his head to peer at his rider.

"You're one to talk," Hiccup retorted, rolling his eyes. He moved his hand in Merida's direction as he looked at Toothless. "Go on bud."

With that Toothless was quick to approach the princess. He sniffed the air near her and made a yipping sound at the nearby Terrible Terror. "Hey," Merida cried, somewhat defensively. She stepped between the two.

"Sorry," Hiccup said as he jogged over. A smile still plastered on his lips. "Toothless has never really been a fan of those little guys."

"Well he ought to be." Merida smirked. She reached a hand down to Toothless who gave a sideways glance to Hiccup. Eventually the dragon did lean in, placing her hand on his muzzle as the other dragons had before. 

After pulling away from the princess Toothless took a few steps back towards Hiccup. "Toothless." The rider grimaced. Of course now would be the time the Night Furry felt like being rude. "C'mon bud."

Toothless looked at his rider and rolled his green eyes. A moment later Hiccup was on the ground, as the dragon flicked his feet out from under him. "Hey," Hiccup cried as he went head-first again the cold, stony ground. "Gods." Hiccup looked up to see Merida and Toothless laughing, or as near to a laugh that the dragon could produce. "Hilarious." He sighed, moving a hand to his head. Drawing it back he noticed a small bit of blood from the relatively hard fall.

"Oh Hiccup," Merida scoffed as she walked towards him. Kneeling next to him she tore at the fabric on her skirt and managed to break a small strip away. "Here." She pushed his hair away and placed the fabric against his forehead. "It's a good thing you've got a patient dragon." She snickered.

"What?" Hiccup asked. He tried to move her hand away to look at her directly, but her hand stayed firm.

"Well," She began, biting her lip as she did so. "He must be one special dragon, dealing with all your nonsense." She moved her other hand to his, wrapping there fingers together for a moment before standing to pull him to his feet. "Now." She sighed, flipping her hair to try to move it from her face. "I think it's time we're headed back."

Merida looked at Toothless "Although in his condition I don't think dragon riding it the way to go. Sorry." As if he understood Toothless crossed the field in picked up the Terrible Terror. Holding it as a cat would hold it's young Toothless was gone in an instant. His dark outline in the sky shot towards Berk.

"Come here." She said, wrapping one of Hiccup's arms around her neck to him to lean on her.

"That's not necessary." Hiccup defenced. Merida only rolled her eyes.

"It's necessary if I say it is," She tightened her grip on his arm. "C'mon dragon boy."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queen Elinor had been very patient. She'd known this was bad decision, but the risk of offending Berk and the other clans seemed to great. How would you explain to twelve diff rent clans that you value there friendship if you can't sign a treaty saying so?

She ran a brush through her ever greying hair and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She wore a dark red dress and a few pieces of jewelry. Thinking of the time she hurried to meet her husband downstairs. "Fergus?" She called. This time the king was prepared. He sat at the table in their make-shift kitchen.

"Why hello there love," He smiled, turning to his queen. "Are you ready to go."

"I suppose," The queens tone broke as she spoke. She looked to the floor.

"Are you alright?" Fergus stood immediately, running over to his wife. "What is it, lass." He eclipsed his wife, capturing her in his arms.

"I'm afraid I am a little under the weather dear," Elinor sent him a weak smile, but her eyes were cloudy with emotion. Fergus drew a hand to her cheek. "Elinor?" He lifted his wife, moving her to a nearby chair.

"Really Fergus." She tried to stand, but her husband placed a hand on her shoulder to keep her in the seat. "I'm fine, we need to go to the signing." A quiet settled between them.

"How long," Fergus managed after a short time, watching as his wife seemed to collapse. She folded her hands over her face, her shoulders protruded forward. She looked like a broken doll which had been set aside.

Elinor looked up at him, but didn't answer. How would you form words like that towards someone you knew? "How long have you been sick? You were fine when we left Dunbroch, were'nt you?" Elinor shook her head, it was the only way she could bring herself to give him an answer.

Finally she did speak, but not before a few tears had fallen from her dark eyes. "Please," She cried, trying not to look up at him. "Can we go? We need to focus on the task at hand." Her hands went to his chin, caressing his features as she sent him a worried look "I don't want anything to happen because of me. I'll stay here if I must, but Fergus please. Sign the treaty, further protect our home."

The king looked down to his wife and wiped away some of the tears that flowed from his face. "Elinor," He signed. Fergus knew her well enough to understand she wouldn't give up on this. He leaned down to her, closing the small gap between them with a kiss. "Please be alright." He ran a hand through her long hair. 

Elinor smiled and tried not to seem as weak as she'd been feeling. "There's my king," She sighed. Rising from the seat she walked back to their bedroom. Fergus watched her as she climbed the stair and flinched each time it'd look like she would fall.

"I'm going to send a doctor!" He called from the base of the stairs.

"No you are not!" Came the queen's reply. Although she thought it a sweet gesture, it would only be more of a distraction. "I'll be fine after some rest!'

As Fergus left their abode he tried not to worry. "She survived being turned into a bear," He told himself. "She can survive anything." He almost choked on his own words, no matter how reassuring. Looking to the night sky he only hoped that all would end well.

--------------------------------------- Author's Note -------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of a filler chapter, but I love writing for Fergus and Elinor so have a little bit more with those two. Also the name of the chapter is directed for  them  *hint, hint*  anyway I'll try to update whenever I can. Sorry they've gotten kind of slow.

Also what would you guys be interested in for my next story? More Mericcup? Jackunzel? Hijack? Or something different all together? I'm open to suggestions. :)