Chapter 18: Now or Never

Merida felt the bitterness in the wind. Washing over the sea with a cold that she could feel in her bones. Blinking hard she tried to remember wandering down the tortuously slick stairs, towards the ancient wooden ship that would carry her home. Home, that thought too, seemed fuzzy. She thought of Angus, and the castle, and the forests that dipped in and out of the mountainous hills that seemed to go on forever. "This is good," she sighed to herself, ashamed at how easily she would miss the rocky, dragon infested island. 

Heading to the ship she saw her father, his face shaded with a sadness she barely knew. His jaw was tightened and although he remained stable, his clenched hands revealed an inner distress. Merida silently prayed her brother's would do their best to behave while on board. Turning to those around her -many people had littered the docks for a final farewell to the travelers- she saw Ruff and Tuff, Snotlout, Fishlegs, as well as a few other newly familiar faces. All but one. "Hiccup," she groaned in disappointment.

Astrid walked up the princess from her place in the crowd, offering her a large piece of fur. "It's a cloak," She explained. "It'll probably start snowing on your way home, so this is the keep you warm." Merida smiled, and took the gift from her.

"Thank you," She said smiling. "We were hoping to beat the snow."

"I'm glad you didn't," Astrid sighed, as if not thinking. "I enjoyed seeing Hiccup so happy again, and doing something other than flying to Odin-knows-where."

Merida laughed. "You sound like his mother," Still she found the sentiment to be very sweet. "You'll just have to try harder at keeping him out of trouble."

"Oh please, Hiccup's impossible to keep out of trouble." She gestured to the group of teens behind her. "Especially with friends like these." The conversation seemed to die down after that, because in the time she'd been there Merida and Astrid had exchanged only a few words. The girl did seem friendly though, and more like a leader than her kind disposition would easily give away.

Merida wanted to ask Astrid if she knew where Hiccup was. Maybe because she wanted a final goodbye, or something like that. Brushing stray strands of copper hair from her face the princess took a deep breath, the cold air freezing her lungs. Biting her lip, she turned to the ship. Giving another glance to Berk she boarded. Within the next view minutes the island had disappeared in the fog, as did the monstrous statues that lit the islands perimeters. Then there was nothing.

Wrapping herself in the dark cloak she'd been given, Merida moved to sit at the back of the ship. She sat on the very edge,  looking for anything other than the whiteness of the sky or the gray-blue of the winter waters. Bringing her knees to her chin Merida almost disappeared behind her red curls. She worried about her mother, and for her father. She wondered what could've happened to her home since they'd left, and if her brother's had enjoyed their time on Berk. She also felt something else though, deep in her chest. She was wondering about Hiccup. Why didn't he say goodbye? Why didn't he want to see her a last time? She curled deeper into the fathoms of the cloak and held her breath. "Goodbye Hiccup." She  sighed, closing her eyes as a way to escape the situation. This would be the last she'd think of him, she told herself. That time was over.

----------------------- Author's Note: ----------------------------------------

Really short last chapter, huh? Well, kind of. This is the last chapter from Merida's perspective, but since the book began with her I thought it only fair to end with Hiccup. So there'll be another last chapter up soon. Hope you liked this one.