Chapter 16: As It Once Was

Merida held her breath as she made her way up the stairs to her mother's room. She clawed at her palms, not afraid of drawing blood as long at it kept her mind off the task at hand. She felt the cool air rushing through the home, chilling her bones as she drew closer.

The door to the king and queen's room looked twisted, and demonic at the end of the corridor. Letting out the breath that had began to choke her lungs, Merida pressed against he door. A loud creek, emanated through the space as the door slowly opened.

Elinor looked to her daughter through the darkness, her dark brow eyes looking cold in the poor lighting. "Merida," The queen sighed. Water collected in her eyes, like a river ready to flood. "How are you, my wee lass?" Elinor held out her hand, to which Merida quickly enclosed in her own.

"Mum, what's wrong?" The princess asked, taking the seat at Elinor's bedside. "I knew something wasn't right, the way you've looked so pale, how you've been acting... I should've pressed you on it. Maye we could've-"

"Don't blame yourself," Elinor interrupted, a snap in her tone that was uniquely her own. "I've already seen a doctor, and Berk's elder. I've spoken to your father, your brother, and now you." The queen spoke as if checking off a list, her words still sharp.

"Mum," Merida managed. She looked to the floor, starring dagger into the old wood. "Is there nothing anyone can do?" She brought  a hand to her mother's cheeck, and was surprised by how unusually cold it felt. As if she had been walking through a snow storm.

The queen laughed, surprising Merida to the point of jumping back. "Let me rest," The queen sighed, rubbing her eyes. "I think that's all I need." She rose slightly in her bed, making an obvious effort to look casual about it. "I knew you'd disagree and so I've spoken with you last...This is a goodbye, Merida-"

"No," Merida shriek, knowing she was being overdramatic at the moment. "This isn't goodbye." She rose from her seat in some kind of protest.

"You're not listening. Merida." Elinor's words were almost condescending and hurtful. It once again felt like how they'd used to be. "I need you to listen."

Merida stared at her mother for a moment. The queen's skin was so white it could almost look translucent against her bed sheets. Her dark hair circled loosely around her, creating almost a blanket for her to hide behind. Elinor had lost weight, to the point where her frame was almost skeletal. Merida once against question how she'd never noticed her mother's condition.

The princess looked at the queen until she felt slender finger's take her own, pulling her back to the seat. "Merida," The queen said, almost pleadingly. "Listen, my darling." Once the room was once again calm the queen cleared her throat, marking the beginning of her statement. "This is a goodbye Merida, at least for now. Our family must return home, and you must be with them. I will stay here, and with time return back to DunBroch. Until there we may not be able to speak, only though letter and things of that nature. This is a goodbye. I'm sorry, but I cannot travel, and our home needs you."

"But what can I do?" Merida's mind drifted back to the previous night, and the ruckus she'd caused in the Mead Hall. "It'd be best for me to stay, and see you be well again."

"No," The queen replied. "I'll have plenty of help here, enough servants can stay to assist me. Besides," her tone had steadily developed back to laughter as she spoke. "I'm afraid you're to much of a distraction for the young chief."

Merida felt a light blush touch her cheeks as her mother spoke. "How did you-"

"I'm your mother Merida, it's my business to notice things like that."  Looking down to her hands Elinor sat quiet for a moment before adding. "You should've heard how he talked about you, like such a gentlemen. It reminded me of your father, and when we'd first met." She sent her daughter a sly look before leaning up to embrace her.

Merida hugged her mother back, although lightly. "Are you sure you'll be alright?" She asked, trying to avoid any sadness in her voice. "You promise that you'll write?"

"There's nothing strong enough to keep me from writing you, my darling." Elinor replied, slowly letting her go. "Now, I think you have a few other's to say goodbye to, and the day is short." Merida rose from the chair once more and began her exit from the room, stopping more than once to look back over her shoulder.

It once until the princess had gone that Elinor allowed herself to relax, sinking back against the bed frame and curling under the blankets. It was less than a moment before she began to sleep.

------------------------------------Aurthor's Note--------------------------------------

Really quick chapter because I haven't updated in a long time. So there's only 1 or 2 more chapters. Then maybe a sequel? I don't know yet. Anyway, I'll try updating soon-ish. Sorry this took two weeks to update.