One

Hey Guys! Just so you know I'm in LOVE with the Red Queen series and while I'm waiting for the third book to be released in february NEXT YEAR, I thought it'd be cool if I wrote a fanfiction on the series. So this is just what I think will happen in the next book. I really hope you enjoy the first chapter and please comment if you can. That is if u want to :)

Anyways! Thanks for reading and tell me what you think of it!

Mare Barrow

I knelt beside the King's feet. Beside my once betrothed, I knelt like the broken Red I have come to be. No, perhaps I was this all along. Nothing but a broken Red from the slums. How did I get myself in here?

Once the conscriptions seemed like the end of the world. How I ache for the times when I would have to worry about what I would eat for dinner or where I would pickpocket my fellow Reds in my town. In a town that used to be where I had grown up, where I'd fool around like immature children with Kilorn, the boy with sea-green eyes that I'd once lost myself in. Back then when I feared only for the welfare and necessities of my family and my approaching conscription. I regret every moment of the night at which I had bumped into my first mistake. Cal. Crown prince of Norta, the perfect flaming prince with even the perfect shadow.

I dare take a glance at the perfect shadow. Sitting as rigid and stern on the throne is the perfect shadow, the boy king, my once betrothed, King Maven Calore of Norta. Pale as bones, his jaw clenched, his crown still too big to claim its rightful master is my second mistake. His ice cold blue eyes look further into the distance, refusing to meet my gaze. I turn my eyes from Maven to the scene laid out before me. Silvers and even a few Reds all stand to watch the fallen lightning girl, kneeling beside their glorious king.

I bet this is being broadcasted to the whole nation, and the thought of my parents, my brothers, Cal and Kilorn, and my fellow Reds watching me defeated as ever sends a wave of shame that floods throughout my veins. What will happen to the Scarlet Guard? What will happen to me? Would Maven broadcast my dead body like what I did to his mother Elara? I guess I deserve it. I deserve every bit of torture and pain for what I've done to everyone, for the people I've failed and for myself. For failing myself.

Tears of frustration and defeat threaten to show, but I angrily shove them back. I can't give Maven or these Silvers the satisfaction that I have admitted my defeat and that I am truly shattered to the soul. But what hurts me most is that I am truly alone now.

Even before when I had thousands of Reds and their faith in me and the Scarlet Guard, even when I had the Scarlet Guard depend on me, even when I had my brother Shade and my friends and the newbloods we managed to save, I knew I was solely alone.

 Now, what I knew in the inside is what it is on the outside.

After what seems like hours during which I regretted every moment of the last few months, Maven stands to make a speech. Suddenly, the crowd's eyes sparkle with what seems like curiosity and fascination.

"Citizens of Norta," He starts, "When I descended to the throne after my father's murder, I made a promise to you that I would arrest the treacherous lightning girl, my once betrothed who bewitched my brother into killing our own father. And as your King, I present you the captured lightning girl Mare Barrow. A Red girl from the slums who deceived everyone including the royal court and all of Norta."

The crowd breaks out into a deafening cheer of mixed angry voices and victorious shouts. As I meet every gaze of the crowd, I sense their suppressed abhorrence and hatred for the kneeling Red before them.

But I don't blame them. As much as I had failed my fellow Reds, I slaughtered more than a dozen innocent Silvers who had a family like me. Who had a son, a mother, a sibling, a wife.

I see their blood on my hands everyday. Red and Silver blood dripping from my hands, so vivid I close my eyes to block out the horrifying truth.

"This girl shall be our key to kill and root out the whole of the Scarlet Guard from this country and end this madness that has interrupted the peace of our nation of Silvers and Reds."

The crowd roars in response, satisfied with the King's vicious proposal.

Maven turns to face me, his eyes radiating nothing but silent fury raging through him. But even so, he manages a monstrous smirk that says I won you lost. I shudder at his smirk and break my gaze, focusing on the crowd.

The crowd growls at me as the King makes his exit and start throwing even more rocks and torment me. This is their true intention. To spill more Red blood on the Silver throne.

Just as I'm about to bite back at the heartless animals, still thirsty for more red blood than they have already caused, four Sentinels violently pick me up from where I'm knelt at by the throne and dispose me into a similar limousine I arrived in. I guess the humiliation I've faced back with the crowds drained the soul out of me and I fall into a light sleep where I silently drown in my own abasement.