Six

Oh my god! 200 views!!! Thank you my readers and I really really hope you like my story. I know it's not as good and it'll never be compared to VA's King's cage but I hope you like it as much as I enjoy writing this. Oh and I've been busy the past few days with school and I might not be able to update like every single day but I promise, I'll update AT LEAST twice a week. Thank you! :)

Mare Barrow

Evangeline sashays through the corridor that leads to the main hall. The Sentinels standing on guard and the servants in the process of varnishing every inch of the hallway catch brief glimpses of the Silver Lady followed by the Red prisoner.

I silently pray inside my head and beg for mercy to whoever might be listening.

No please, I can't die now. Not now. I need more time.

Even talking to myself, my voice trembles with sheer terror. I convince myself Maven wouldn't kill me so soon, not when he is yet to have his hands on our master scheme. He'll let me live until he at least unfolds the Guard's next conspiracy. But I'm not so sure whether breathing in a fractured corpse quite exemplifies the word 'live'.

The main hall is one labyrinthine maze and it feels as if we're playing a hide and seek game between myself and the rest of the Silvers sorely straining themselves from finishing me off. We turn a corner to the right and weave in through countless halls.

It's long since I gave up keeping track of our footsteps and instead, I let my mind wander into blankness. But there is no blankness for me to slip into. There's only a jungle of a thousand unwelcome thoughts snaking into my senses.

How will he kill me? What will I look like in my last seconds as Mare Barrow? Roasted alive? Fried by lightning? Soaked in red and bruises?

The last scenario seems more likely. They'll put me into as much physical pain possible before I say hello to death, and then reunite with my brother Shade who died in my place. Shade's death instantly reminds me of the witch's brother gliding ahead of me.

Ptolemus Samos.

That ungrateful bastard. If I can't finish him off while I'm alive, I swear, I'll haunt him for the rest of his undeserving long life which he stole from my brother and I'll make him regret the fact that he survived the Bowl of Bones in the first place.

After a long inside tour of the palace, we come across a deserted corridor. Only a few maids pass by, keeping their eyes low and shifting uncomfortably, probably because of Evangeline's murderous dismissive stare.

She stops and turns to the Sentinels.

"You are dismissed. I'll send word to you when we're done here." she says in a tone with authority. The Sentinels stand there, glancing at each other like dumb chickens before one stutters out,

"My lady, our orders were to escort the Red at all times..." Evangeline cuts him off.

"You will do as the future Queen tells you to do without question Sentinel Rhambos." and casts him a deadly look before he bows and leaves with the rest of the Sentinels without another word.   

Idiots. I think. They don't look much older than Evangeline, a couple of years maybe? And yet, they still cower in every word she spits out.

Evangeline pushes open the doors and gestures me to follow, her hard eyes watching me even with her back to me. Like I'd run down the hall looking for help.

The room is an abandoned dance room. It's not as nice or silvery as the ball room Cal and I danced in but nevertheless, the room is extremely clean with dining tables, chairs, drawers and a dozen other ball preparation equipments stacked in a neat line against the wall. The windows don't let in much light because the curtains are drawn and apart from the almost soundless twinkle of the chandeliers in the celing, the room looks almost peaceful.