Two

Hey guys! So this is the second chapter of this story and I know there isn't much romance going on right now but HOLD TIGHT. It's coming. And also, I'll be updating every 2~3 days or at least once a week if I'm busy. So I hope you enjoy!

Mare Barrow

"Get up." A rough hands shakes my shoulder and I jerk awake from my short nap. I rub my eyes and stare out the window, regarding our arrival. We've returned to the palace in Archeon and it's almost blinding to eye the palace for long since practically everything gleams and reflects any source of light. I crawl out the limousine, my arms and legs still in pain from the past few days.

One of the sentinels with chestnut hair and a lean feature takes hold of the leash attached to my collar and the other three lead me into through the doors.

This is it Mare. Who knows if this very moment could be your last.

I absorb the genuine warmth of the morning sunlight, strongly doubting any luxury of warmth could exist in such a place built up of nothing but malice and trickery.

I hope for the sentinels to throw me into some cell and leave me to my despair. But I bite back a bitter laugh as I already figured out the answer to my wondering. Maven wouldn't be so generous. He'd spend a whole week, a whole month to torture me day and night to rat out information of the Scarlet Guard. Elara's death is the only comfort I have in my state, knowing there won't be anyone with such mind intruding skills to suck the truth out of my head. Nevertheless, I can't sit around and let them torture me. Someday, my mind might give in. But before that, my body will give in first. Even torturing comes to an end when there's nothing else left to break.

The bargain was that I won't fight. But I'm sensing Maven wants more than that. He'll do anything to demolish the Scarlet Guard and kill everyone who had a part in it. Eventually, he'll kill me too. No surprise I guess. And I'm pretty sure a short painless death isn't what Maven has in mind for his Red prisoner.

The sentinels lead me through an endless route of twists and turns and doors until I'm finally facing a large gilded metallic door. The throne room? I'm not sure. The sentinels don't wait for me to guess and find out. They unhook the leash and shove me inside, leaving me to find out what awaits me.

I take watchful steps, walking deeper into the room until I notice the royal court surrounded on either sides of the room. There on the throne situated on the far center sits Maven, leaning onto his right armrest clearly bored from the wait. When he sees me approach, he straightens automatically and silences the court. The court, the Silvers turn to face me and don't hide their scowls as they realize who I am.

I limp without the support of the sentinels and I realize I can't even walk properly. In the mob of Silver Elites, I find similar faces. Shade's murderer Ptolemus Samos and his wretched sister Evangeline I didn't kill in the Bowl of Bones.

The Silver Elites who have nothing else to do but torment a Red prisoner use their abilities to trip me over, blast me with wind, even manipulate water and splash my face. I stare daggers at the nymph that splashed me. And before I can stop myself, I spit right at her face,

"House Osanos is it? Unless you want to end up like your friend Lord Osanos you better keep your water to yourself." My scene at the Bowl of Bones when I electrocuted Lord Osanos to death is enough to shut her up and her water show.

I stop at the center of the room and glare at the snake coiled around the throne. Clearly he's enjoying this.

"So. The lightning girl has finally succumbed to the King. Now what shall we do?" he asks, inquiring the Silvers.

"Your Majesty," Evangeline starts, "That Red is a criminal and is guilty of her commitment to the Scarlet Guard. We must extinguish this... revolution as those Red rats call it at once. And to do that," She sneers looking straight at me, "We must find a way to make the lightning girl talk and reveal the Scarlet Guard's master scheme." She says the last two words with such sarcasm, I let a blunt snort escape my mouth.

"In case you're too arrogant to have noticed Evangeline, our master scheme involved rescuing 5000 innocent child soldiers from the fronts, bringing rightful justice for mistreated Reds and also not to mention successfully turning this nation into an incredible nightmare." I say, managing a smug grin even.

She automatically reaches for her side pockets and throws a thin metal switchblade that hits me right in the thighs. I groan in agony and jab it out and immediately fling it back towards her.

She reacts quickly, but not quick enough, it sheathes through her grey dress sleeves, opening up a cut on her arm. And silver blood oozes through.

"You savage little skank!!" She shrieks, as she wipes the blood. I'm momentarily surprised by how she reacted to the cut but then I realize why she was so disgusted.

It wasn't just her blood on the blade. It was MY filthy red blood too. She was disgusted not at the cut but that my red blood had mixed with her superior silver.

I look at the cut on my thigh that's spreading like blood red poppies on my dark brown pants. I hold my hand to stop the bleeding and turn my eyes from the whining brat to the throne. Or rather what's looking back at me with keen ice-blue eyes.

"Your Majesty. I ask that you lock this wretched brat in a cell at once and interrogate her of all her treasons she has committed," She demands, "and perhaps you could order Captain of the Sentinels to have the honor in this part. Or in this case, i myself volunteer to be part of her interrogation and unyield her intentions." And by unyield, i'm pretty sure she meant interrogating me with a hundred razor blades or suffocating me to death using her petty metallic ability.

I stare at Maven to figure out the gears turning in his enigmatic mind. He thinks for a moment or two until he finally calls, "Evangeline."

"Yes your majesty."

"It would be improper and rather uncourteous of you to roam around and torture a Red prisoner. And from what I've heard, you will be participating in Queenstrial which only gives me more reasons to forbid you from any violence in association with court matters."

"But your majesty.." Before Evangeline can continue her declaration for torture for me, Maven silences her with a stare which only the cruelest heartless man could muster. She seems to have understood his point and silently leaves the throne room. Probably to some skin healer.

I realize my thigh is still bleeding and that my hand is completely painted with dark red blood. Some Silver Elites groan in distaste and throw me dirty pitiful glances.

"No one in this court shall be granted permission to touch or harm the Red prisoner in any way before my command. And if anyone counters with this, they will answer directly to me." And by the slight growl in his words, I think everyone got the message. Even Silvers with such arrogance wouldn't dare cross their King. Not this King especially.

"Captain Macanthos. Take her to her cell." A strongarm judging from his bulky arms and stern expression marches towards me and grabs me by the arm." I wince as I lose balance and feel my thigh starting to burn from the stab.

"Wait. Clean her up first. Then lock her up. Make sure to have guards on stand." He adds.

"You're all dismissed." He says and stands up, quickly exiting the throne room.

"Come. Follow me." Macanthos yanks me by the arm and drags me out the throne room.