Chapter Six

I walked slowly to the dining hall, lost in my own thoughts. I had spent the rest of the day in the library, taking down things I thought important. Nobody needed me for anything and I hadn't seen Lyon since lunch.

The entire day left me tired and my shoulders sagged. I just wanted to curl up and go to sleep.

I was dreading going to dinner. Not only would I have to face Kirin, but I would also have to face the disappointed and hurt looks of my former friends. It was enough to throw anyone off their meal, and the gods knew I didn't need that. I hadn't eaten anything since morning.

I was so lost in my head that I didn't hear the footsteps until they were right behind me. A shadow grew and I spun around, catching the person's arm and slamming them against the wall. I pinned her arm behind her back, twisting her wrist so that she dropped the knife she held in her hand.

The woman let out a choked sob and I looked at her face. "Gabriella?"

Gabriella was twenty-five with blonde hair. She had been one of the oldest people at the camp, but she didn't fight much. She was docile most of the time and had a little sister. I knew her well enough to know that she had been engaged to a man when I left. I didn't know what happened to her after that.

The door next to us opened because of the noise and Kirin stepped out. Nicole peered at us from behind him.

"What is going on?"

I released Gabriella. "Are you hurt?"

She glared at me through her tears and ran away.

"Nicole, could you please see if she's alright?" Kirin asked.

"I'll go," I said, but Kirin stopped me.

"I think you have done enough damage for tonight."

Nicole tossed me a smug smile before leaving.

"What happened?" asked Kirin.

I picked up the dagger and turned it over in my hand. "I think she meant to stab me."

"Can you blame her?" he said in an undertone.

I was too tired to be angry. "What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, not bothering to hide the hurt.

Kirin didn't look at me. "You have not exactly been the best person of the year."

All my will seemed to have drained out of me. I tossed the knife back to the ground. "I should go have dinner."

I heard Kirin sigh behind me and then the shutting of a door. "Wait," he said, "let me come with you."

I didn't stop walking, but neither did I walk faster. Kirin caught easily up to me.

"How was your day?" he asked and I snorted.

"Mine could have gone better, thank you for asking," he said.

I stayed silent. I did not have anything to say, anyway.

Kirin sighed again. "Are you going to be so difficult all the time? I am just trying to make some conversation!"

"Maybe I don't want to converse!" I said. "Maybe I just want you to leave me alone."

"I'm just trying to be friend-"

"Maybe I don't want to be friends!" I screamed. Ah, there was the anger.

Kirin's face was impassive. "You do not mean that."

"Not everybody wants to cling to you," I said, bitterly.

"Is this about Nicole? What do you have against her?"