Chapter Eight

I stilled, my hands still on the grate. I pulled my fingers back slowly. Aaron was flanked by four guards.

Larkin looked politely curious. "What for?"

"We must discuss the terms of the treaty," Aaron said. Four guards just to lead Larkin to the king's chambers?

Apparently, Roran was thinking the same thing, because he said, "Can we not discuss here?"

Aaron took a step forward. "Is there something wrong?"

Larkin let out a laugh and I had to admire his nerve. "No, no, it is just that your invitation seemed slightly threatening."

Aaron grunted. "I shall come with you, of course," Larkin said. "Please, lead the way."

The guards stepped back to allow Aaron and Larkin room and shut the door behind them. I waited, unsure of what to do now.

Some time later, Sasha entered the room and looked around. She held the book in her hand. She frowned when Larkin wasn't there and I seized my opportunity.

I jerked on the grate and Sasha jumped. The metal was stronger than Lyon's vent and it took me a minute to pull it out. I poked my head through.

"Thalia?" Sasha cried, evidently surprised.

"Sasha," I said quickly, "they've taken Larkin."

"Who? Taken Larkin where?"

"Aaron. He's taken Larkin to discuss the terms of the treaty. I need you to follow them. I need you to alert Larkin immedia- . . . Oh. Clever, clever," I muttered to myself.

"Thalia?"

"Just follow Larkin and . . . tell him to visit Kirin as soon as he's finished. Make sure he's safe and stay with him at all times."

Sasha nodded and I secured the vent. "Oh, you're being spied on," I added as an afterthought.

I went back to the previous ventilation shaft. Kirin was lying on him bed, with an arm across his forehead.

I tapped the vent. Kirin lifted his arm, wondering if he had heard something. I tapped the vent again and he sat up.

"I'm in here, genius," I said.

Kirin turned to the vent. "Thalia?"

"As much as I would love to sit here and talk, I really need to get out." I hadn't given much thought to how I would get out of here. I had just figured I would get off at Lyon's after talking to Larkin, but that plan had been sabotaged. Also, lunch was long over and that meant the spies would be returning soon.

I pulled the grate off, and Kirin helped me down. I was not very lady-like getting down. I bumped my head a few times and tripped on my skirt, causing me to fall with a shriek over Kirin. He had been holding my waist. Luckily I landed on the bed, which was almost right below the vent. Unluckily, Kirin landed on the floor. I heard his head hit the ground and he groaned in pain.

I helped him up. "Sorry," I said. I refitted the vent.

"I told you before, there are easier ways to kill me. What were you doing in there, anyway?" he inclined his head towards the vent, rubbing his head.

"I was going to warn Larkin, but that plan was shot down."

"Warn him about what? And," he pulled out a letter from under a stack of books, "what is this?"

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. "That," I managed, "was a decoy."

He raised an eyebrow. "A decoy?"