Chapter Seven

The next day, I sat in the heat of the Great Room, listening to a page drone on about some kingdom or the other. I had hardly got any sleep last night because of the events of the previous day.

Breakfast was subdued, since most of the people had not woken up. I downed my food quickly, revelling in the fact that nothing had put me off breakfast today.

After the page finished, the king stood up. Instantly, I was alert. It was not often Aaron made speeches and when he did it was always related to something important.

He cleared his throat and the court fell silent.

"In light of recent events," he began, his voice ringing clear, "it has been rumored that rebels have begun to spring up again."

The court gasped and my heart lurched. What? What is he saying? I knew there were still rebels out there and now more than ever. Immanuel must have convinced Aaron to conduct a hunt. I cursed silently. The rebels would have found refuge in caring homes, and if we conducted this hunt, then both the rebels and the families hosting them would be killed without hesitation.

"As your king, I have decided it is my duty to put these rumors at rest. At sunrise tomorrow, a troop of my best rebel hunters shall sweep the kingdom and make sure we do not have any traitors on our lands." I clenched my jaws. I doubted he would give me the leading horse. He suspected me, so of course he wouldn't let me go.

"It will be led, by our finest: Lady Arya!" he gestured and my eyebrows raised. The court cheered and I forced a smile. What was Aaron playing at? From what he told Lyon, he did not have any reason to entrust me with this.

"But this time,' the king continued, "I shall aid them."

A hush fell over the court. The king hadn't left the palace for anything in years and now he was suddenly up for a hunt based on a rumor? He turned his beady eyes to me and I said what I was expected to say.

"My Lord, surely you needn't exert yourself on such a trivial matter."

"Trivial it may be," he said, "but this is an issue concerning my kingdom and I will not treat it lightly."

I accepted his offer and he began discussing the manner of which the hunt should be carried out. Lyon shot me a confused look, but I knew why Aaron had suddenly proposed to come along. My loyalty was about to be tested.

...

I had prepared for this day a long time ago, though I never expected it to come in this manner. Testing of one's loyalty was a game the king liked to play with his courtiers, though he had not, until now, bestowed that honour upon me.

After I got back to my room, I decided I needed to get word to Larkin about the rebel hunt. Aaron had made us promise not to tell anyone outside the Great Room, and I was sure the guards would be watching my every move. This was a test I was determined to pass.

I looked around my room. It was spacious and carpeted beautifully. The maroon on the carpets intertwined with golds and greens and blacks to create a cacophony of colours and shapes. My bed was at one side of the room, next to my wardrobe, and a bookshelf stood next to that. An inclination on the floor held a sofa and a glass table. Closer to the corner was a desk and four chairs. The balcony was right opposite the door to my room. Beside the desk was another door that led to the bathroom.

I was chewing my lip in thought when Ella entered, looking dishevelled. She shut the door behind her with a bang.

"Ella, what's wrong?"

"Those hooligans!" she exclaimed. "The guards outside demanded that I empty my bag out," she gestured to the bag slung over her shoulder. "When I was finished, they wanted to search me to see if I was carrying any poison on my person. Really, to think that I would poison you!"