Chapter Sixteen

Dawn was still far off, the sun sound asleep. Every house embraced the darkness, its occupants lost in their dreams.

We didn't find any open carriage stalls or horses, so we reached the palace on foot. By the time we reached the gates, I was panting, my legs and stomach burning.

Kirin fared no better. The guards took a moment to authorize our entry and we sprinted in as best as we could.

Inside, the entire palace was in chaos. People ran helter-skelter, shouting orders and requests. A flurry of greys and bright, undetered colours sprung around as servants and courtiers alike darted around.

I caught sight of a familiar figure. "Ella!" I shouted, hoping my voice would carry.

She stopped and twisted around, her eyes going wide as they landed on mine. She tackled me with a fierce hug. "Where have you been?" she exclaimed, looking me over. Her eyes were rimmed with red, as if she'd been crying. "Do you know how worried I was? I thought you were dead!"

I shook my head slightly. "What happened? Why's everyone running around?"

"Where were you?" she asked again. "There was an attack and . . .," she glanced hesitantly at Kirin. "I'm sorry."

Kirin's expression changed instantly. "What happened?" he demanded.

"It was Lord Roran . . ." Kirin was off before the words completely formed.

"Where?" I asked.

"The infirmary."

"Thank you," I managed before I chased Kirin. I caught up to him easily, telling him where to go.

The throng of people outside the infirmary was enormous. We pushed and elbowed, surging through the mass and finally reaching the doors. They were shut and a stern-looking healer stood at the entrance, strictly telling people off.

"Please," said Kirin, "I need to see my father."

Her eyes turned to me and I realized she was waiting for my permission. I nodded and she opened the door just enough for us to squeeze through.

The infirmary was crowded with beds pushed against each other. The healers were in a flurry of activity. It had never been this crowded in all the time I had been here. The wounded lay on the beds, some moaning while others lay painfully still.

We asked a healer who pointed us in the direction of Larkin. In the corner of the room, with curtains covering his bed, was Larkin. The healer tending to him didn't even look up when we entered.

"Oh, Larkin," I breathed. His torso was bare, boasting the wide hole in his stomach. I couldn't tell how deep it was, since blood pooled in and around it. The healer dabbed a cloth on his wound, the white quickly turning a deep red. Larkin was breathing heavily, sweat beading his forehead.

He grinned when he saw us. "Ah, hello."

The nurse finished cleaning his wound and pressed a cloth against his stomach, sealing it in place. She then looked at Kirin.

"The wound is serious and needs immediate medical attention," she said. "The organs inside have been severely damaged. We need to perform a surgery to clean up the internal damage and then, stitch up the wound. There has been a large amount of blood loss, so the recovery process might take longer than normal. We are having a group of experienced healers brought in to start the surgical process. They shall be here soon."

Kirin nodded numbly. The nurse hesitated. "Might I have a word in private?"

Kirin and the healer nurse stepped outside and I was left with Larkin.