The Thrive

Where the forgotten town remains with the sound of elderly talking, where the forgotten people are, that's where I will be.

I sit in my living room by myself listening to the old grandfather clock tick after each second. Mark invited me to travel with him all around the world; this was my dream come true, but how come I felt unsure of whether I wanted to do it or not? He told me to think about my invite before answering in a few days. I've always wanted to travel especially with someone I admired so much... Maybe that was the problem, I'm too shy to go travel with Mark alone.

I wake up to the sound of loud construction near my house, and I immediately go check out the disruption. I see a group of construction workers tearing down a park not too far from my house. That was the park I used to play in when I was younger, I would always go on the swings and tell my mom to push me. I could feel a tear roll down my cheeks and I swiped it away with my palm. Looking out the window, I spot Mark walking towards my house so I go down and open the door to welcome him.

"Good morning there young lady, are you watching my every move?" he says playfully

"Ha. ha. I just happened to look at the window while you passed by"

"Then that must be fate" he says, walking into my living room

"What brought you here so early? Do you want a coffee?"

"I'm good thanks. I'm here to talk about our trip around the world." he says with a big smile

I nodded and sat next to him while he talks about all the places he was planning to visit on his trip. At last he looked at me in the eye and asks

"Are you coming? The trip would definitely be better with you" 

I get lost in my own thought again and time felt like it was slowed down. I was unable to make the decision even though I was perfectly fine with going. Somehow my body wanted to go but my mind refused me from accepting the invite. 

"I'm sorry Mark... but I- I don't think I can go..." I finally murmur

"Oh. I get it... but if its financial issues I don't mind paying your bit an-"

"No no... its just I think its best that I stay here. Home." I spoke quietly

He nodded his head and gets up; getting ready to leave.

"I would stay longer, but I need to pack up for my trip. I'm leaving in 5 days"

"Oh. If you need help you can call me anytime to help" I offer

"There's one thing you can help with before I go."

"Sure, anything"

"Could you take me around the Town Baker Rose Garden before I leave?"

I smile, "Definitely"

Mark leaves and I sit on the couch rethinking my life choices. Surprisingly, time flew by quick and it was already nighttime by the time I stopped thinking. I look out my window and I see darkness. The streets were empty, the houses were all pretty dim inside, and no sounds can be heard. That night I head to bed pretty early compared to usual to get ready for a big day tomorrow.

In the morning, I get up at 6am to get ready for the tour around the gardens. I do my hair, make-up, and decided to wear a light blue sweater with a pair of black leggings. Mark arrives right on time at 8:00am and we start heading to the garden.

"I'm honestly really excited for this tour because I heard the flowers are as pretty as someone I know!" he says while looking at me

"Oh really?" I say while blushing a bit.

"Yep! Its my grandma!"

"I agree" I say while letting out a breath of relief

We arrive at the entrance of the gate and from there we could already see a bunch of flowers that were bright pink and purple blooming in a distance. Walking closer, memories of when my mother brought me here started to flash through my mind and everything suddenly became like a movie.

"Wow, this place is actually so beautiful... Its autumn but all the flowers are still blooming" Mark shouts

"Yeah, I know right? There's always been something magical about this place"

We walk down the flowery path hand in hand, while I blush a little. Mark looks down at me and smiles.

"If you don't mind me" he says smoothly

"No-no its fine" I say while my face burns red

Last but not least we walk towards the Scarlet Roses. They were as beautiful as ever, they have never been switched and legend says these rose bushes have been here for over 50 years. They were so beautiful and elegant like a ballerina dancing without the slightest difficulty.

I look over to Mark and see him be completely mesmerized by the flowers. He looked like a little kid opening his first Christmas present and I couldn't help but giggle a bit.

"What's so funny?" he asks

"Nothing. It's just your face" I say while laughing a little harder

"What am I ugly or something?" he asks cheerfully

"Ha ha no, you just look like a little kid" I say while laughing

"So you admit I'm good looking" he says with a sly smile

"I never said that" I say

"Yes, yes you did. But I'm even more shocked because these flowers are absolutely stunning"

"These roses are really beautiful"

"You really live up to your name... Scarlet"

I look him in the eye and blush a little... blush a whole lot. Next thing I know I could feel his arms around my waist and he kissed me. Everything suddenly felt unreal, and I was happy. He released me after a while and whispers into my ear

"Would you be my girlfriend?"

I nod and he kisses me again. We walk out of the garden and as we approach the white gate I stop walking. He looks over to me with a worried expression.

"Is something wrong Scarlet?"

"No, its just I changed my mind"

"Do you not want to be my girlfriend anymore?" he asks

"NO!" I blurt

"Haha I'm just joking" he says while walking over to me until our faces were just 4 inches away

"I want to come with you... to the trip if the offer is still up" I say while looking away

Without saying anything Mark hugs me tightly for a whole 2 minutes until he finally spoke

"Of course the offer is up! I was going to drag you with me anyways!"

I laugh and we walk back home hand in hand out of the garden, and out of this town.