Chapter 2: Edie

By the time Edie had finished getting all of her stuff out of the car and bidden her family goodbye (her little sister had kept insisting on more hugs, and her father kept asking if she was going to be okay), the sun was streaming almost directly into the window. Since they were on the fifth floor, that might not have meant much, but since it was also the end of August, that probably meant it was fairly late in the day. And the only things not in boxes or suitcases were her pillow and the worn teddy bear, Rutherford, she'd had since she was three. She sighed and perched on her bed. "Well, I guess I'm moved into college."

Corrie looked up from the book she'd been apparently immersed in and smiled sympathetically. "It's pretty different, isn't it? I'm not sure how I'll adjust to having a roommate." She was pretty, but not at all Edie's type, which was a relief. Corrie looked a little like a jock; tall, slim, blonde, ponytailed, and not particularly curvy. Edie preferred body types more like her own--curvy--but without the excess weight she carried. Hopefully Corrie's jockish appearance didn't translate into a personality like the jocks at her high school. Then again, she wasn't homophobic, which was a very good sign to start out with.

She'd been worried about what it would be like sharing a room with a girl close to her own age to whom she wasn't related. Having had very few female friends who came without sexual complications, she didn't know what it would be like. But she thought she could probably avoid an infatuation in this situation. Hopefully. "I won't have any problem with that! I've always shared a room. I have three sisters and there was never enough space for all of us--my little sister is going to have a room to herself for the first time now that I've moved out."

"I'm an only child," said Corrie. "I'm used to it being just me and my mom!" Edie wanted to ask about her father--why wasn't he in Corrie's life--but stayed silent, thinking it would be impolite. Luckily, they were saved the awkwardness by a knock on the door.

Corrie jumped up to open it, smiling cheerfully. "Hi! Come on in!" she said to whoever was out there.

The girl who accepted Corrie's invitation was more Edie's type, and was really quite beautiful. She was tall, with clothes that hung invitingly on her curves, and bobbed chestnut wavy hair that framed her high cheekbones. Still, Edie hung back shyly. She just knew she'd put her foot in her mouth and she didn't want to make a bad first impression; anyway, this girl was probably straight. "Hi!" she said. "I'm Dawn. I live next door." Corrie introduced herself and Edie, and Dawn gave them both cheerful smiles. "I just finished unpacking, my roommate hasn't shown up, and I'm starving."

Corrie nodded. "Dinner sounds good to me. What do you think, Edie?"

Edie nodded shyly, surprised to be included in the decision-making, and manufactured a smile. With such an outgoing roommate, she might have to become more extroverted. "Just lead the way!"

They went out into the hallway and Corrie carefully locked the door. Edie patted her pocket to make sure her keys and ID card (which she'd had to pick up as soon as she set foot on campus) were in there. All seemed to be well, and they set off down the stairs. In an effort to be friendly, Edie broke the silence. "I didn't even come here for a visit. I don't know my way around at all." Okay, she was also trying to hint that she had no idea where the dining hall was.

Dawn nodded in agreement. "I visited once, but I don't remember where anything is. I hope we don't get lost."

"Well, you two are lucky you have me!" said Corrie with a grin.

"Why, because you live nearby?" Corrie must have visited the campus, probably a few times--Edie remembered her saying she lived twenty miles away, which was probably in or close to the nearest good-sized city.

"No, because I'm good at reading maps." Corrie flourished a folded-up campus map that had been in her back pocket. They all laughed.

Once they'd gotten to the front door and outside the building--it was darker here, since the sun was filtering through the trees to get to them, but there was still light to see by--Corrie unfolded the map. "It looks like we can cut past the admin building and get there faster," she said, pointing to the space between the administration and music buildings to where the dining hall was. However, the paths that the map showed didn't go that way, but rather below the administration building and up again.

"I think I'd rather just follow the path, even though it's longer," said Dawn, frowning at the map.

Edie was relieved that she didn't have to be the one to suggest that. "I agree. I want to be able to see where I'm going, especially since it's getting dark." And she'd be able to find her way around campus better in the future if she knew where the paths led.

"Right then, we'll follow the yellow brick road! Or the black tar road. Whatever." They giggled as Corrie led the way down the path and around.