Chapter 20: Seeing Is Believing

They all trooped down the stairs and out of the building. It was a beautiful day, and Dawn took a deep, soothing breath of the clear air. It must have rained overnight, because the scent of wetness was still in the air. It didn't seem like nearly autumn, or even like summer: the air held the scent of spring. Of course, on a campus literally surrounded ninety percent by trees, the seasons might smell different from what she was used to, in her concrete-and-steel suburb. "It's hard to believe this place gets as foggy as Mr. Gossett said," she marveled aloud. "What a beautiful day!"

Rico nodded agreement. "But I guess we'll believe it when we see it."

"Oh, don't tell me you're so unimaginative as to only believe what you see with your eyes," Corrie said as she led them around the building--there was only one door into or out of Gilkey, and it faced in the wrong direction. Once again, Corrie was the de facto leader, probably because she was the only one with a map.

"I never said that," Dawn protested.

Edie looked at the two of them in confusion and, Dawn thought, a little bit of contempt. Edie's expression made her feel both uncomfortable and angry. What gave Edie the right to judge her? But then again, maybe she was right and they were being ridiculous. Dawn wasn't sure what to think. "Why would you believe something you can't see? Or at least sense? I don't think you're talking about believing in smells and sounds."

"Oh, loosen up, Edie," Corrie said. "What fun is life if you can't decide for yourself what to believe? I believe in the Goddess and I've never seen Her."

"I believe in Jesus, and I've never seen Him," put in Duncan unexpectedly.

Edie kicked at the ground. "Well, I guess I don't know what to believe," she muttered.

Corrie put a hand on her shoulder gently. "I don't think anybody knows for sure. But you can decide for yourself. Hey, my mom is bringing some books when she comes tonight. Maybe you'll find something you like in there."

"The paths on this campus are laid out really oddly," said Rico as they cut around the art building to get to the next section of path. "It's like they only wanted to allow one way to get from one building to another, and they didn't want to make it the most convenient."

"Why don't we just cut across the grass?" said Duncan, pointing. "The gym's right there. It would be quicker than going around Hickory."

Dawn frowned. "I think we should stay on the paths," she said slowly, though even as she said it she wasn't sure why.

"That's a good idea," said a voice from behind them. Edie jumped and they all turned quickly. Dawn sighed with relief when she saw it was Ever, the girl with the blue hair and the tattoo. "The paths are here for a reason."

"Hi, Ever," Edie said. "What reason?"

She shrugged enigmatically. "Are you guys heading to the carnival?"

"That's right," said Corrie, smiling.

"Cool, mind if I tag along?"

"Sure!" Rico said. "The more the merrier."

"Awesome!" said Ever. They started to walk again. "I heard the carnival is always a lot of fun."

"Really?" Dawn shook her head. "My aunt never mentioned it. But they might not have even had it when she went here."

"I think it's only been the past ten years or so. I have some older friends who go here and have told me about it."