XXXI | If you lose your heart...

"I had a feeling I would see you again." 

Just looking at him, Kaleb felt a surge of fury. But then he thought of Kaia and how scared she'd been when he'd let the wolf inside of him out. Kaleb couldn't do it again and breathed deep. He stood in front of the bars and stared at Jack for a long moment; it was satisfying to see the man who'd taken so much from him in such a state. 

He looked exhausted and aged, his eyes dull and his shoulders slumped. He sat on the far side of the cell he was in, leaning against the wall with his hands clasped together. "You're going to die, Jack," Kaleb said as calmly as he could manage, but the words sent a shot of satisfaction through him. 

Less satisfactory, though, was the smile on Jack's face. Kaleb had wanted fear, but there was none of that in Jack. Jack slowly nodded and unclasped his hands, sitting up straighter, "I expected as much."

Kaleb wanted to hurt this man, tear apart his body and his soul. "Kaia was the one to make the decision." That was enough to get past Jack's defenses. It was almost invisible, but Jack's eye twitched. Kaleb smirked. He'd gotten what he'd come for, and he could go back to Kaia now. Was she still asleep?

"Well, I suppose I should have known better than to visit that place. For some unknown reason, I thought I would be able to stay in control. Maybe it was because for a moment there I almost felt like my daughter had faith in me," Jack said, staring at the wall. 

Kaleb watched him. This man was a mess. He was falling apart. Or maybe he already had, years ago. If Kaleb had pieces missing, little divots out of his whole, Jack was shattered on the ground, resting broken and lonely. But Kaleb felt no pity. 

"You killed her mother, Jack. Kaia would never have loved you," Kaleb said. 

Jack's head slowly turned back towards Kaleb, and he sighed, "Perhaps...but one can hope. I am sorry for everything that's happened." For a moment, Kaleb thought he was genuine. 

"You're a murderer, Jack." 

Jack's eye sharpened, and he stood up, resting his hands in his pockets as he approached the bars. He stood face to face with Kaleb, stared directly into his eyes. "So are you, Alpha." 

Kaleb wanted to recoil. He wanted to lash out. He wanted to scream. But that might make him look weak, and Kaleb couldn't look weak, not in front of this man, never again. He wasn't a shaking child covered in blood any longer. "I'm nothing like you," Kaleb growled. 

A slow smile crept across Jack's face, and he tilted his head to the side. Kaleb couldn't breathe. Kaia tilted her head to the side just like that. He felt sick. 

"Aren't you?" Jack asked, "Because I've been inside of your head, Kaleb." Jack's face had come back to life, his eyes darkening. "You'll break her. Deep down, you know that, boy. You're a wolf, a monster, and she'll snap under pressure."

Before he knew it, Kaleb had stumbled back a step. He was losing the upper hand even though his opponent was in a cell. Kaleb felt himself shrinking, like a flame under a glass, slowly choking to death. "Shut up," Kaleb growled, this time the sound was barely human. 

Jack chuckled and leaned against the bars, resting his forehead against them, "I've been in Kaia's head, too. You know what's in there?" 

"Shut up!" Kaleb yelled, slamming his hands against the bars. Jack didn't even flinch. He just stared. His eyes were like dark whirlpools of delight. Their faces were inches apart. 

"She shares the same fears you do. Her biggest fear..." Jack said. Kaleb froze. "You."

Kaleb's hand was around Jack's throat in seconds. "I'll never be that person."