XXXV | Together

"Have you made a decision?" Kaia asked, stepping closer and wrapping her arms around Kaleb from behind. He sighed and leaned back into her, resting his head on her chest. They were in his study because Kaleb had been working. Well, as close to working as he could get; Kaia was here, and he couldn't stop thinking about her and their night together.

"What do you think I should do?" he asked, taking her hand and looking up at her.

Kaia smiled and touched his cheek. "I think you should talk to them. You can't decide this without knowing what it is you're deciding. Not all of his Pack can be evil, right?"

Kaleb nodded and stood up, stepping away from his desk and into Kaia's arms. "You're right, as always... What did I ever do without you?" He was serious. Kaia somehow made him stronger than he'd ever been before. He had someone he could talk openly with, who could share the burden with him. It was precious, being together. 

Kaia laughed lightly, and the sound filled Kaleb's heart. But soon her face sobered up, and she looked up at him, gently resting a hand on his chest, "Kaleb, I'm going to go see my family today."

He frowned, "Are you sure? We can bring Cole over here, you know? I've already exempted him from the regular Hunter rules; he can come and go as he pleases."

Kaia shook her head, "No, it's more than just Cole. I have to see my dad, too. I need to talk to him and straighten this all out." 

Kaleb fell silent for a moment, but soon enough he closed his eyes and nodded. Even if he didn't like it, it wasn't like he could stop her. And if Cole went with her, she'd be safe. He did have one enduring concern, though. "Kaia we don't know much about Jack's Pack. We don't know how big it is. Hell, up until now we didn't even know it existed." 

Kaia frowned, "You didn't know it existed?"

Kaleb nodded and absently tucked her hair behind her ear, "I know all of the Alphas of all of the Packs. It's my job, as Alpha of Whispers. But I had no idea about Jack."

"So you're saying that I should be careful," Kaia said, "That his Pack might still be out there somewhere." 

"They can't be happy about losing their Alpha," Kaleb said, "So keep your eyes open. I'm sure you'll be fine. I want you to be safe." 

"Thanks for letting me go and not worrying like an idiot," Kaia said, smiling and wrapping her arms around his neck, bringing their faces closer. 

Kaleb smiled softly, "Oh, I'm still going to worry like an idiot." He smiled as he leaned down to kiss her, closing his eyes and feeling the little explosion of fireworks in his heart. Every time he kissed her, he remembered that there was a little good in this world, beautifully still water in a stormy sea. He never wanted to lose that feeling. "But I trust you. I don't see a point in being overprotective around someone who's probably braver and stronger than I am."

"Good," Kaia said, touching his chin with the tips of her fingers. 

Kaleb sighed, looking down at her, "I love you a little."

"A little?" Kaia asked, smiling. 

"Ok, you got me. It's a lot," Kaleb said, smiling. 

Kaia seemed to glow, her face lighting up, "I love you, too." Kaleb loved it when she smiled. He wanted to see it every day for the rest of his life. He'd protect their future, no matter what came their way. 

"I'm going to go call Cole," Kaia said, "He'll drive me over."

Kaleb nodded, "I'll go see Jack's Pack members right now. I'm sure at least one of them will have something to say."